LegacyGT.com

Installation of cabin air filter. (56k warning)

WARNING: This procedure will require to disassemble half of the dashboard, and is obsolete in vehicles that have access door in the back of glove compartment.

==================================================

That's one of the things that I like to have in my car, so I decided to go ahead and make it happened (will switch to Subaru provided filter/kit when I'll replace this one).

This instructions are for automatic transmision - 5MT shouldn't be that much different - only difference for pulling trim around shifter and no need to move shifter out of the park position.

Tools needed:

philips #2 screwdriver(maybe 2, one short to get the screw in opened glove box)

flathead screwdriver(medium worked for me)

whatever you need to cut the filter of your choice(if not precut to specs)

1 Engage the handbrake. Using hands pull directly up plastic trim under hand brake.

1.JPG.86ebdf079f4d9bd8b42d1ad7460b847c.JPG

Edited by dimil

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 Unscrew 2 screws in rear compartment of the console.

3 Pull front of console up (it's hold in place by 2 pins - only 1 visible here), and move whole console to the back about 2 inches.

2.JPG.0328ec1b7cbaa02270e13b3848d19d75.JPG

3.JPG.a2b95ba1b86c7eba92dea0eccc14fdb7.JPG

5 Pull up chrome trim around shifter, put keys in ignition and depress brake so you can switch gears to netral. Turn ignition off(you won't be able to pull the key out in netral). Pull shown trim up as shown and pull out. (you can switch back to park if like now to pull the key out)

5.thumb.JPG.e6b7c5c9a1544ad055665e703533ef64.JPG

6 Remove the screw and pull trim towards console from step 3 (there 3 clips that come out easy).

7 Undo 3 screws from side trim, open glove box and pull out the side trim (there 3 clips as shown).

6.thumb.JPG.9a6c04c674888792c8a2dfad4808eb20.JPG

7.JPG.b8bce15f9bc888116c63fa6998971035.JPG

9 Take off the string that slows movement of glove box(mine didn't retract inside, but pay attention just in case). Pull out slot from inside glove box, undo 3 screws and 1 pushpin as shown in pict 9 & 10, push out 2 clips from the sides and 2 from slot (location shown on pict 11). Whole glove box should be droping down right now exept for plastic holding from right side in pict 12, that you pull right out. Set glove box on the floor and you have access to what you were after.

9.JPG.ab201ee44a5a2a328ba6407e02739ceb.JPG

10.JPG.a27e396453c321151bf1f75804264454.JPG

11.JPG.3ad7a628052dd3cd21bfa2dc38e18975.JPG

12.JPG.359eddc609ec8c6f721ea7d5fbbd3b9d.JPG

You can see how I made filter since it's not available yet - no instuctions provided, but shouldn't be that hard.

Credits go to:

Opie - for link/making original instructions available,

Tide - for making this site available for all of us,

Sube555 - for being functional Director of Monkeys :) (moderator),

apexjapan - for all evil pictures of JDM RBP sedan that made me get one(now I just need lip spoiler),

Subaru - so I have one in garage while I'm typing this,

All members - for being part of this site,

All lurkers - Signup already,

Me - for not being too lazy,

My wife - supporting me geting a new Legacy GT.

16.JPG.5a6211916d8f16a731eabe4b016a49e9.JPG

17.JPG.b7dc9e8d6fd29d1ec8d5d111c7a50e83.JPG

18.JPG.18f17aaff55814ff55b8fc61ddc66420.JPG

Dude, thanks dimil. Nice effort on this situation. Awesome write-up. And nice pics.

Seems like such a chore, for an air filter element...but thanks for taking the time to help the passengers breath clean air!!!

Later,

i.

yup, that's on my list of todo too.

You know, depending on how much the filter kit is later. I think a mod of the glove box will allow the filter to be removed. It looks like the back is in the way, so just cut a chunk of it off and seal it back up with some fiberglass and fabric so it's no longer in the way.

Thanks for experimenting!

Everyone should just do this and keep doing it every year - I don't see how Subaru can justify $80 for that one filter when you can just put a 3M filtrate in it.

Just put the filter in.

1) I managed to do the whole procedure without scratching any pieces! :) (Can't say that about any interior mods in my WRX ...)

2) Use the purple 3M filters - they're more expensive, but the wire mesh is easier to cut than the red ones IMO.

3) Manual transmission is the same, except instead of pulling out the silver trim, you have to unscrew the shift knob.

4) There are some little plastic pieces hanging at the back of the glove box, be careful when dropping the glove box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That is stupid hard to do! Since my wife ends up driving lots of dirt roads in her Honda Odyssey, the cabin air filter is a must. But it is hella easy do compared to the Subaru! And since I end up doing it multiple times a year, I am not sure if I will allow the Legacy on a dirt road if I end up getting one!

That is stupid hard to do! Since my wife ends up driving lots of dirt roads in her Honda Odyssey, the cabin air filter is a must. But it is hella easy do compared to the Subaru! And since I end up doing it multiple times a year, I am not sure if I will allow the Legacy on a dirt road if I end up getting one!

That's why the filter kit is not available at dealers yet. Once the redesigned kit comes out, I think they'll replace a few parts to make it a lot easier.

this sure does seam like a lot of work. but i know in my curent car (ford focus) the cabin air filter was a bit easyer to install but my point is that it was a great modification. keeps the interior much cleaner and free of dust. and alergys are less in the ... well when u have allergys

liberty subaru charges $100 for the labor. you should change it once a year. redesign coming in october.

Did mine this weekend.. I would have gone with the 3m purple, but it looked much to constrictive.. The "stock" filter will have many more pleats for more surface area. I'm sure you could bend it into shape, but I just want basic filtering, get rid of the dust inside the car.

If you've taken it apart before, it's VERY quick.. It snaps back together in a matter of minutes too.

Oh, and the redesign is probably going to involve getting a new glove box or a new fan housing. Not worth waiting for current cars.. that is IF the redesign is happening.