LegacyGT.com

Official Suspension FAQ - Swaybars - Struts/Springs - Coilovers - Alignment

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you have to change the control arms to the control arms that came on an outback/sus

Where the hell did you read that? ALL second generation Legacy's use the exact same control arm....

Outback struts/springs will raise the car just fine. But, what most people don't know is that the Outback has subframe spacers in the rear, extended sway bar mounts in the rear, larger rear sway bar, and longer axles front and back. Everything else is the same as any other Legacy.

Where the hell did you read that? ALL second generation Legacy's use the exact same control arm....

Outback struts/springs will raise the car just fine. But, what most people don't know is that the Outback has subframe spacers in the rear, extended sway bar mounts in the rear, larger rear sway bar, and longer axles front and back. Everything else is the same as any other Legacy.

There is a guy on my street who rally x's and is super german. He and I were discussing leggy's period. Couldnt it be for another gen he couldve been referring too?

That's what I was told, obviously misinformed. So thats where the hell I heard it from.

lol, Germans... Honestly, I have no idea about the other legacy control arms. But, I do know that every 1st and 2nd gen Legacy's use the same design control arm along with all GC Impreza's. They're all the same. I'm pretty sure that the GD Impreza's might use the same control arm too, but don't quote me on that. Either way, I have no idea what car that guy was referring to. He could have been talking about later generation Legacy's, but that's because I have no clue what those look like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've got a little bit of front suspension noise in the form of creaking noise when I go over speed bumps. Any grease fittings I should hit or are all of the bushings sealed units?

when i first lowered mine i had some noise too i sprayed some silicone spary on every bushing and on the top hats two months later still no noise

I have been looking on the forum for somebody who lowered their 97 OB. I was just curious about the body spacers. Is there an issue with lowering because of the spacers? Seems that the axles might hit.

Ok, let me start this off by saying this project is not for the wimpy. I have a lift and every tool imaginable at my disposal.

There are a few advantages to doing this to your car.

1. Suspension options

A: BD/BG can use any GT/L or GDB length strut without compromising suspension angles

B: BH/BK can use GT/L or JDM GT-B/B4 suspension without compromising suspension angles.

2. Increased chassis stiffness lower center of gravity and faster suspension response.

I've done this project to my BH and BG out back they are very similar.

The parts that make an Outback an Outback:

Front: Cross member spacers, dropped rear control arm mounts, longer cross-member bolts, longer steering coupler, longer strut bodies.

Center: Longer Pitch stop, Dropped transmission cross members, dropped rear shifter bushing (5mt), lowered drive shaft carrier bearing, heat shield spacers.

Rear: Cross member spacers, front diff mount spacers, longer cross member bolts, dropped front trailing link mounts, dropped sway bar mounts (BG/BD), longer strut housings.

Front process:

Jack the car up and support the front frame rails so you can get to the rear control arm bolts.

Remove the rear mount bolts and remove the front bolts from the control arms. Let the arms dangle. Remove the rear bushing and replace it with a standard unit (RS/WRX/ALK). Repeat on the other side.

Support the front cross-member with a jack at the jack plate (a friend would be helpful here). remove the two 17mm nuts holding the passenger side of the cross-member up. remove the drop bolts from on top of the frame rail. Lower the jack slowly. when there is a gap in between spacer and the cross-member. The spacer is held to the frame rail with a plastic clip (BG/BK) or with bolts (BH/BK). Remove the spacer.

Replace the drop bolts with standard units (RS/WRX), jack the cross-member up and reinstall the two 17mm nuts loosely.

Remove the two steering coupler bolts. Secure the steering wheel in the straight position.

In the BH/BE you can opt to replace the steering rack with a WRX or 04' STi unit (fine splines) and coupler (no rag joint). You will have to collapse the steering column slightly (tap on the end with hammer) and invert the key spline in the steering coupler.

In the BG/BD you can use GC8 racks (coarse spline).

Remove the two passenger side 17mm nuts and let the jack down till you can remove the spacer. The steering wheel coupler will have to be removed to drop this side. Replace the steering coupler with a Legacy L/GT unit. lift the cross member back into position and tighten the four 17mm nuts. reinstall the steering coupler bolts. Reinstall the control arms.

Once you've reinstalled everything underneath you can replace the struts with the replacement of your choice just make sure they GT/L length.

Center Process:

Remove the center heat shield.

Support the transmission with a jack. Remove the transmission cross member. 5mt cars, replace the rear shifter bushing. Replace the transmission cross member with a standard GT/L one.

Remove the heat shield spacers.

Remove the drive shaft and replace with a standard unit. For this to save cost I simply removed the mount bushings and secured the shaft to the floor again. You will get a tad more noise inside but this is how GC8's are.

Rear Process:

Support the front of the diff with a jack. Remove the front diff mount bolts. lower the jack and remove the spacers. Jack up the diff and install GT/L length bolts.

Remove the bolts from the front trailing arm mounts, then remove them from the trailing links. Replace them with L/GT/WRX units. Reinstall the bolts

Disconnect the rear sway bar end links. (BG/BD)

Support the rear of the diff with a jack. Remove the cross member bolts. Lower the jack till you can remove the spacers. Jack the cross member back up to meet the body then install L/GT/WRX/RS length bolts.

Replace the rear struts with the L/GT/GT-B/B4 length struts.

BG/BD owners will have to swap out the rear sway bar mounts for L/GT/RS units. Reinstall the rear sway bar end links.

Common Parts (BH/BK/BD/BG):

Cross member Complete AT 41011AE00A (Auto Trans Cross Member)

Cross member Complete Front 41011AE020 (5mt Cross member Front)

Cross member Complete Rear 41021AC240 (5mt Cross member Rear)

Cushion Rubber-Gear Shift 35036AA010 (Rear Shifter Bushing)

Front cross member drop bolts 20540AA030

Transverse Link Bushing- RH 20201FA050 (Rear Control Arm Bushing)

Transverse Link Bushing- LH 20201FA060 (Rear Control Arm Bushing)

Rod Assembly-Pitching Stop 41040FA000 (Pitch Stop)

BE/BH Specific Parts list: (00' BH/BE GT Part Numbers)

Universal Joint Assembly 34170AE040 (Steering Coupler)

Trailing Arm Bracket- RH 20540AE000 (Front Trailing Link Mount)

Trailing Arm Bracket- LH 20540AE010 (Front Trailing Link Mount)

Flange Bolt 901000179 (Rear Cross Member Bolt)

BD/BG Specific Parts: (96' BD/BG GT Part Numbers)

Universal Joint Assembly 34160AE010 (Steering Coupler)

Trailing Arm Bracket- RH 20520AA030 (Front Trailing Link Mount)

Trailing Arm Bracket- LH 20520AA040 (Front Trailing Link Mount)

Flange Bolt 20540FC120 (Rear Cross Member Bolt)

Bracket-Stabilizer- RH 20520AA001 (Sway Bar Mounting Bracket)

Bracket-Stabilizer- LH 20520AA011 (Sway Bar Mounting Bracket)

Still working on some good quality pictures, not the best photo guy :lol:

If I missed anything let me know.

-Dylan @ DS1 Motorsports

• 2 weeks later...

Hey whats up guys, I found a 99 impreza 2.5 that has been totaled the guy that owns it is selling some of the parts pretty cheap. It just so happens I need to replace the rack and pinion on 95 sedan soon and i do not know if I can use it, it looks the same the pump is different and believe the lines are routed a bit differently, the pump and lines are immaterial to me unless I need them. If the owner will cuts me a deal I may get the whole p/s system.

...Zues, can you divert me to a thread about suspension crossover parts from 02-03 wrx to bd legacy. I couldn't find a sticky on it though I'm almost positive you wrote one up

That thread would be helpful for me also, looking to install 2002 wrx shocks on some new legacy bd KYB struts, was wondering if I could reuse my bd strut tops, going to the junk yard to get used top hats, sleeves and bumpers tomorrow for the swap so I can do it all in one.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get a complete 07 wrx suspension for cheap and was wanting to make sure everything will match up to put it on my car. Yes I read the first page but wasn't positive on everything since I have an outback and not a normal legacy. I'm currently running factory suspension with subtle solutions 1" spacers in the front and back. I've also up'd the size of my tires from 205/70/15 to 205/75/15.

Will the wrx suspension work okay for lowering the car back down a little bit? I plan on leaving the lift spacers off.

wrx wagon suspension for wagons......wrx sedan suspension for sedan......

i cant answer peacedaddys lowering question.....but

@pleaidestar just got the 02 wrx springs last week and by looking at them they are not smaller at the top for the front springs ......from reading 03 wrx springs required the impreza top hats in the front to work.....

i will post the result after the install next weekend

wrx wagon suspension for wagons......wrx sedan suspension for sedan......

i cant answer peacedaddys lowering question.....but

@pleaidestar just got the 02 wrx springs last week and by looking at them they are not smaller at the top for the front springs ......from reading 03 wrx springs required the impreza top hats in the front to work.....

i will post the result after the install next weekend

No, 02/03 WRX springs do not the the same upper and lower diameters nor is the top larger then the bottom. The top is smaller. All Impreza/WRX front top diameters are the exact same from 93 to 07, as well as the 04 to 07 STi's. The top is 125mm in width. The bottom is 148mm in width. And Impreza top hat for the front with work. All Second Gen Legacy's have a top spring diameter of 146mm. They will obviously not work. You knew that, I was just clarifying on WRX spring width. Also, the bolt pattern between left and right is reversed. LH Impreza top hats fit to the RH side on Legacy's and vice versa.

As far as a the "full WRX suspension, wagon to wagon and sedan to sedan" rule of thumb.... Very, very false... I am quoting myself on something I posted a while back.

Read below. If there is anything you are still questioning, just ask.

I am setting ALL of the details straight, here and now....

Subaru Legacy rear suspension info:

1) All 95-99 L and GT models BOTH sedan and wagon, use the same rear struts.

2) ONLY 95 Outback models use the same struts as the 96 to 99 L and GT models.

3) All 96-99 Outback models use a TALLER strut than ANY other 95-99 Legacy.

4) All 95-99 sedans have a rear spring rate of 132 lbs/in.

5) All 95-99 wagons have a rear spring rate of 190 lbs/in.

6) ALL 95-99 GT and L models have one height of spring.

7) ALL 96099 Outback models have a taller spring than any other 95-99 Legacy.

8) ALL aftermarket OE replacement struts made are model specific.

9) They make a rear strut for the 95-99 L and GT models.

10) They make a rear strut specifically for the 96-99 Outback models.

Subaru Impreza WRX rear suspension info:

1) There are MANY differences in the WRX rear struts between sedan and wagon.

2) ALL 5MT sedans have a rear spring rate of 119 lbs/in.

3) ALL 4EAT sedans have a rear spring rate of 132 lbs/in.

4 ALL 5MT wagons have a rear spring rate of 132 lbs/in.

5) ALL 4EAT wagons have a rear spring rate of 144 lbs/in.

6) ALL 02/03 WRX have rear springs with a lower diameter of 150 mm.

7) ALL 04-07 WRX have rear springs with a lower diameter of 150 mm.

8) So, 02/03 springs have to be paired with 02/03 struts.

9) 04-07 springs have to be paired with 04-07 struts.

10) The BIGGEST difference sedan and wagon is the camber between the struts.... Sedans have more camber and sedans have less.

SO, WRX WAGON struts are CLOSER in design to the second gen Legacy struts than WRX sedan struts are... Anyone who says pair WRX sedan to Legacy sedan and WRX wagon to Legacy wagon is a complete MORON. ALWAYS try and pair WRX wagon struts to ALL second gen Legacy's. Just make sure that you keep the years paired between spring and strut. 04-07 WRX wagon struts are the best. They are closest in camber and have the highest spring rate of all the WRX models.

I was able to get a complete 07 wrx suspension for cheap and was wanting to make sure everything will match up to put it on my car. Yes I read the first page but wasn't positive on everything since I have an outback and not a normal legacy. I'm currently running factory suspension with subtle solutions 1" spacers in the front and back. I've also up'd the size of my tires from 205/70/15 to 205/75/15.

Will the wrx suspension work okay for lowering the car back down a little bit? I plan on leaving the lift spacers off.

The rear will most definitely lower down when the WRX setup is installed. Exactly how much will depend on exactly what type of 07 WRX they came out of.

As far as your tire size, the spring perches might rub the tires. The spacers on your stock suspension pull the tires you already have more inwards. Spacers change suspension geometry.

What exactly are you looking to get from the suspension on your Outback?

Kenny

I'm going to be DDing my outback nothing fancy. Suspension has ~200,00 miles on it now and I seen the opportunity to get newer struts and springs plus possibly going the other way and dropping it a little bit.

Will I need to switch top hats?