LegacyGT.com

Clutch noise while pressed in

Hope this might be an easy question. I got a 05GT and its just starting to make a noise when I push the clutch in. With the clutch all the way out there is no noise. Car has 80K on it and still the original clutch in it. Only thing I can think of from my days working on cars a long time ago is a bearing going bad. Also how long are you guys/gals getting out of the stock clutch(no racing pretty easy on it most of the time)? I would like/hope to get 100K out of it and replace the timing belt and clutch at the same time. I dont work on cars anymore so what would be a ok price for a belt/clutch noise fix? Also it might be a long shot but with the #1 subaru dealer in this area and lots of them around can anyone recommend a good shop in the colorado springs area?

Thanks for any replies in advance - Chris

• Moderators

I believe that's your throw out bearing (TOB). If you have to replace that look up 'TSK3'...should prevent a complete failure down the road. Not replacing the TOB if it needs it (i.e. trying to wait another 20k) could really end up being worse for you in that piece of the trans goes boom.

Others will chime in on this, I'm sure

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

time for a new clutch and throwout bearing. the bearing is whats making the noise and it's toast. oem clutch can last up to 150k miles and as low as 40k miles depending on your daily racing. fredbeansparts.com for clutches. and don't ask which clutch to go with, it's on this forum everywhere, even in the titty forum

• 5 months later...

The TOB will make noise with the pedel pressed in. When pressure is applied to the TOB to clutch, the bearings inside are dry and will start to squeek/squeal. It's letting you know that you only has a few days left of driving before it blows apart, the TOB that is.

I'm on my 3rd TOB right now, and each one will give you fair warning before it goes.

My wife's balls are delicious.

The TOB will make noise with the pedel pressed in. When pressure is applied to the TOB to clutch, the bearings inside are dry and will start to squeek/squeal. It's letting you know that you only has a few days left of driving before it blows apart, the TOB that is.

I'm on my 3rd TOB right now, and each one will give you fair warning before it goes.

Kewl, thanks man. Any ideas on what the noise/chatter could be when the clutch is all the way out? It's intermittent, and always goes away with even light pressure to the clutch pedal.

Your TOB telling you something and you better look into it before it gets worse and leave you on the side of the road.

The TOB rests against the clutch even when not engaged and the chatter you hear is 1 of 2 things.

1. The TOB is damaged already and is skipping around on the pressure plate fingers.

2. Some of the pressure plate fingers could be damaged and chattering against the TOB.

Majority of the time it's going to be number 1.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

I know this is a 7 year old thread, I didn't find anything else I thought was as specific. Apologies if my searching skills suck.

Can anyone elaborate on "chattering?" I'm not experiencing any "squeaking" but I do get a little bit of what I would describe as rattling only when the clutch is pushed in. Not exactly sure when it started. I can only hear it with the windows down and I am close enough to something for the sound to bounce off.

Car history: 196k chassis miles, 196k transmission miles (new viscous coupling about 45-50k miles ago), 27k engine miles (new Suby shortblock), resurfaced WRX flywheel 27k miles ago (originally installed probably 130k miles ago), new ACT clutch 27k miles ago.

I did the clutch myself the first time around and used the TSK3 TOB. The second clutch was done by the shop who put in the new engine. TSK3 TOB was not installed at that point.

Any insight? I stumbled across a thread where m sprank mentioned not having to pull the transmission all the way out to do the clutch, which I wish I would have known the first time around. Definitely bookmarked that thread.

chattering is when your letting the clutch in 1st gear and the chatter rattles the dash area, you can feel the car shake.

Normally when that happens I push in the clutch, put tranny in neutral and side step the clutch pedal, take your foot off it a fast as you can, let it slam to the top, that should fix it.

My stock clutch would also do that in all my Legacy GT's since 1998. Normally moisture causes it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for responding, Max Capacity, your posts have been extremely helpful to me over the years. I'm with you there on that sort of chattering, experiencing it for years going back to my Galant VR-4 days in the late 90s. I guess I probably should have been more specific in my inquiry.

In this particular case/scenario with potentially bad TOB, is chattering likely synonymous with the rattling? I get no squeak, just what sounds like a light metal rattle when clutch is depressed, and increases in frequency/speed with the engine until clutch is engaged. Not sure if I'm making any sense here.

Some would say they would hear/feel a slight chatter before the TOB would start to squeal. The TOB chatter sounds like marbles being swirled around in a tin can, this is due to TOB not having enough grease and is starting to dry out. If the chatter starts to get louder or turns into a squeal then it's a matter of time before it blows.

The TSK3 TOB aren't the best and they don't last as long as OEM, but it does serve a purpose. I went through 3 of them within 100k miles.

Thanks, FJuan, for the sound description. I would most certainly not describe what I'm hearing that way. I would describe it more like (but not the same as) the deceleration rattle after the ACT clutch and WRX flywheel install.

Either way, I'll keep an ear out for any changes. Anyone want to buy my wagon? Kidding, of course. The car is starting to wear on me a little bit after 12 years and 180k miles of ownership. And it's waaaay overdue for a suspension refresh. Cheaper than a new car, I suppose. I digress.

Thanks again, Max Capacity and FJuan.

Thanks for responding, Max Capacity, your posts have been extremely helpful to me over the years. I'm with you there on that sort of chattering, experiencing it for years going back to my Galant VR-4 days in the late 90s. I guess I probably should have been more specific in my inquiry.

In this particular case/scenario with potentially bad TOB, is chattering likely synonymous with the rattling? I get no squeak, just what sounds like a light metal rattle when clutch is depressed, and increases in frequency/speed with the engine until clutch is engaged. Not sure if I'm making any sense here.

So your saying, when you push in the clutch and rev the engine the noise gets louder ?

Just for free, may be get under there and make sure all the heat shields are tight. My wagon doesn't have many of the heat shields left.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry, had to check out for a bit over the holiday weekend. Haven't had a chance to check the heat shields, but I have been able to notice a couple other characteristics:

Max Capacity, when I push the clutch in and rev the engine it doesn't necessarily get louder, the frequency of rattle increases simultaneously and evenly with the engine, but up to maybe 1200-1500 RPM, then no longer audible.

Also, it does not make the sound when the engine and transmission are cold. Had a couple co-workers standing by after work the other day so they could hear it before we left. Nothing. Made a quick loop in the parking lot but still nothing.

I'll keep narrowing it down and reporting back. Any further insight in the short term is very much appreciated!

• 4 months later...
Just following up on this in the event someone else makes it this far down the thread, although it may be pointless because there was no real pinpointed diagnosis. Ended up replacing clutch assembly (including TOB), flywheel and shift fork. No more noise.