LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

I got the P0021 code and researched it. Before I finished my research I had driven it several miles pretty gingerly when I started hearing a pretty quiet "chhhhk" noise as the turbo was spooling. Then I parked it and finished my research, found this thread among others.

So, I checked the two AVCS screens on the front of the heads and they were already removed. But the one on the turbo remained and had some gunk. You could see some light through it, but it was mostly clogged.

Anyway, after I removed the screen and reassembled it I started the car and it smoked bad. I had never seen it smoke before. So, was the screen clogged enough that it wasn't getting enough oil to the already damaged turbo to smoke noticeably and after I removed the screen the extra oil getting through burned? Or did I do something wrong?

Either way, I'm pretty sure it's new turbo time, right?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a combination of too little oil getting through the banjo filter to the bearings, which borked your seals, and when took out the filter you enabled more flow, which just blew past the now-done seals and smoked-off. Sounds like you're likely due for a replacement turbo.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks for confirming that. I was about 90% sure that was it. Now was not a good time for buying a new turbo, but oh well. Just hope nothing else is destroyed, felt fine driving it, but I realize driving it wasn't the smartest thing to be doing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just pulled my banjo and the screen was super clogged (115k miles) I believe it is the culprit of my last 2 dead turbos and the p0011 cel. I forgot to take pics of the clogged screen but you couldn't see thru it even with a flashlight. Hopefully all is well once put back together.

Just pulled my banjo and the screen was super clogged (115k miles) I believe it is the culprit of my last 2 dead turbos and the p0011 cel. I forgot to take pics of the clogged screen but you couldn't see thru it even with a flashlight. Hopefully all is well once put back together.

When you changed turbo, did you drop the oil pan and check for metal shavings? If not, they'll clog your next banjo bolt filter in no time IMHO.

When you changed turbo, did you drop the oil pan and check for metal shavings? If not, they'll clog your next banjo bolt filter in no time IMHO.

Thanks for the input. I'll be doing a oil change today and again in a few hundred miles but didn't plan on dropping the oil pan. I will consider this since I cant afford to replace the turbo again anytime soon. But if I'm dropping the oil pan I should go ahead and replace the oil pickup since I'm in there right? Man these cars take allot of money at once..... Nothing Im not used too.

But if I'm dropping the oil pan I should go ahead and replace the oil pickup since I'm in there right?

^+100. I would definitely change it with a KillerB or the like while you're in there.

I have not personally done that yet but I want to do it for sure.

Man these cars take allot of money at once.....

Nothing Im not used too.

^But you usually forget it when you get into boost. At least I do :spin:.

So I should just pull the screen out and toss it or clean it and put it back?

The stealership replaced my turbo after they blew it but I highly doubt they fixed the filter.

Eternal debate my friend. Read this: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/banjo-bolt-filter-change-inspection-interval-often-178141.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New to this forum after hearing about turbo failures related to the banjo bolt filter issues.

I'm looking for some detailed pictures on the replacement of said filter and after a few searches this was the best thread I found, but admittedly did not read through all 50+ pages. Other that the original posters instructions are there any better pics in this thread or elsewhere someone could direct me to.

I've got an 05 with 102K that must be living on borrowed time. Its seen a steady diet of Mobil 1 since maybe 30K? Don't remember when I switched it over but I run pretty extended intervals. The dealer quote on said service was too much to swallow.:eek:

I'm obviously due for a timing belt and I've got a bad CV to replace. So I'm making my list of needed repairs to try to tackle on a weekend.

1) The banjo bolt isn't the easiest to get to, but if you take off your UP, you can reach up from underneath and access it a lot easier. It sits between the turbo and the 2/4 cylinder head. Good idea to do this while you have the axle out to replace it (just replace the whole axle - don't mess with trying to "fix" the CV). Will give you even more room to work.

2) Reconsider using Mobil 1. Boosted EJs eats this stuff for lunch. My master tech in San Diego mentioned in conversation that almost every engine that he's had to rebuild was run on Mobil 1. Many have had great success with Shell's Rotella T6. I personally run mine for 135K on Valvoline 5W-30 conventional oil... and the banjor bolt filter is still in there.

1) The banjo bolt isn't the easiest to get to, but if you take off your UP, you can reach up from underneath and access it a lot easier.

Hmm. I was able to squeeze in to get it just by taking off one of the brackets holding another set of wires.. Took me maybe 30 minutes to take off, inspect, and another 15-20 to put back.

As for oil, I've been using Pennzoil Platinum, after finding my engine consuming a lot of Mobil 1 as well.. Which reminds me.. Time for another oil change :-)

I've got an 05 with 102K that must be living on borrowed time. Its seen a steady diet of Mobil 1 since maybe 30K? Don't remember when I switched it over but I run pretty extended intervals. The dealer quote on said service was too much to swallow.:eek:

I got my XT in '10 with just under 90k on it. I'm now approaching 154k. I discussed removing the filter with the dealership service adviser and she said that they normally don't even service them unless they have other things going on that make it accessible. I still haven't changed or removed mine but have the new one that I purchased at that time. When I do make the replacement it will be with an Infamous filtered oil line, which I also already have. It seems that turbo failures due to problems with the filter are due to a number of things rather than just simply the filter clogging. Indications are that religious oil change intervals commensurate with the type of oil being used may be one of the most important parts of your maintenance schedule.

Hmm. I was able to squeeze in to get it just by taking off one of the brackets holding another set of wires.. Took me maybe 30 minutes to take off, inspect, and another 15-20 to put back.

As for oil, I've been using Pennzoil Platinum, after finding my engine consuming a lot of Mobil 1 as well.. Which reminds me.. Time for another oil change :-)

My big ham fists won't fit in there without clearing big stuff out of the way. :lol:

I used to run Pennzoil all the time when it was made in my PA hometown, but started running Valvoline in Japan and haven't looked back. Incidentally, Pennzoil is now owned and operated by Shell Oil.

So I guess your saying you removed one of the two the banjo bolts that have the filter in them that is shown on page 1029 of the 09 service manual as item #30.

30) Union screw with filter

(with protrusion)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^ That is very interesting as I was under the impression that the newer LGT's did not have a banjo filter. Why then did the banjo filter cause turbo failure on the 05 LGT however not on the newer LGT's that supposidly didnt have a filter...?
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

^ what...do you think I know everything ? :) I got schooled on that a few years back. Since you your nice enough to ask in a email, I figured I go looking for it. Took me about 5 minutes to find the picture and item number.

I'm guessing someone like m sprank, BAC5.2 or GTTuner my have thought's on that.

I looked through the opposedforces link at the top of the news & rumor forum, I couldn't find a listing for a 07-09 oil tube and banjo bolt. I did find it for the 05-06. The tube was changed for the 07+ years.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
Finally got around to doing this bitch of a job today on my wife's '05. The good news is the filter was completely clean, as in not even a piece of dust after 45k miles. The bad news is I'm bleeding all over the keyboard now from knuckle injuries.;)

Just wanted to give thanks for this thread. I referred to it when removing the filter from my 05 GT a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully the filter was spotless, but I chose not to reinstall it. The two filters on top of the heads had already been removed by the previous owner.

The infamous dental floss trick was KEY in getting the crush washers back into place on the pre-turbo filter. I futzed around for twenty minutes trying to line the washers and bolt up, got frustrated, and pulled out the floss. I dangled the washer down from above and had it back together in less than five minutes after that.

Turbo seems healthy, no shaft play. It's nice to drive the car without the ominous feeling that it might self destruct at any moment, lol.

In case anyone is checking their banjo bolt filters, please note that the oil flows from the INSIDE of the filter to the OUTSIDE. So even if the filter is full of junk (inside), it may still appear to be clean from the outside.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT