LegacyGT.com

Discovered Group N LCA Bushing for Legacy

ifbiker

Brandon from Dunning Subaru in Ann Arbor ordered a LCA bushing for a 05 LGT and a 08/09 STi for me to measure. I measrued both with calipers and to my suprise the bushings are dimensionally identical. Brandon noticed the part numbers molded into the bushing were identical as well. Both bushings seem to have similar rubber but to be honest my finger is not calibrated to measure durometer. It should be noted the Subaru part numbers are slightly different and Subaru charges a little more than 20 dollars more for the STi bushing. So what does this all mean, if you have a LGT and want to replace the rear LCA bushing with something other than stock or PU, it would appear the Group N bushing will work. I plan to order 2 next week and see if it all works out.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what does this all mean, if you have a LGT and want to replace the rear LCA bushing with something other than stock or PU, it would appear the Group N bushing will work.

Seems that this is for the rear.

Now we need to be VERY careful with this... Which bushing in the Front Lower Control Arm are we talking about? Front or rear (both in the front LCA). I made the mistake of ordering the front bushing when my rear bushing was torn. Here is a picture for reference.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/Dark-V/FrontLCA.jpg

Now is this the group N rear LCA bushing? or the smaller front one? Also, RalliSpec sells them for the 08+ STI:

http://rallispec.com/prod_chart_stibush3.htm

If it's the rear bushing in the front LCA, which one do I order!?

Where can you purchase the Group N rear bushing for the front LCA? Looking at RalliSpec's website they only seem to have the "STi GpN Front Control Arm Front Bushing". The rest are rear bushings or swaybar bushings.

To clarify, its bushing number 3 in the diagram. By the way where did you find the diagram?

Vacation Pics.

Also, contacted RalliSpec, they quoted me $118 shipped on both group N bushings... Cheaper than any urethane bushings I've seen.

No, just the 2 rear ones. I've already bought a full set of stock bushings because my rears are torn to shit, but once I get enough cash to mod more of my suspension, I'm definitely going to get the Group N bushings. It's like OEM performance parts from Japan!

I was poking around my local Subaru dealership, and checked out their SPT/STi catalog and noticed the "STi transmission mount". I googled the part number, and lo and behold, it's the Group N trans mount.

I wonder if the STI LCA bushing is the same as the Group N. The local dealer didn't have the '08+ STI LCA bushings either...

anyone measure the entire 08/09 STi LCA?

It's Alum and *might* be cheaper OEM option than the SpecB.

Part numbers aren't the same but dimensions might be.

That's true... Fred Bean sells the SpecB LCA's for $570 and on SubaruParts.com, the 08+ STI LCA's are $236 each. That'd be great if all those parts worked together.

• 2 weeks later...
Myles

What were your impressions of the Group N bushings and can you make a comparison between Group N and Whiteline?

My mods before this were:

WL front and rear sways.

WL front strut brace.

Cusco rear strut brace.

Kartboy front and rear endlinks.

Bilstein HD shocks.

Alignment is -1.8 front and -1.6 rear.

Yokohama all seasons. 225/40-18.

No comparisons between the two. No difference felt of noticed. My background is SCCA regional road racing, NASA road racing, IMSA Panoz series( 2 podiums), Drove ALMS Vitesse pace cars in 2007 and instructing since 1998.

I did these 3 things at one time: front control arm bushings, adjustable caster bushings and KB pitch stop mount.

This change was VERY noticable. The feeling of being "connected" comes to mind more than ever. Its more noticable than sways. You can instantly feel the front suspension A LOT MORE. The mid corner vagueness is now gone. Its like in a kart when you are searching for grip at the apex. Before this, mid corner at the limit your steering would get light in your hands and you felt like someone in the "feedback" dept was looking at a chic walk by with huge boobs !! Again, connected still comes to mind.

The Pitch stop mount seems to tie things together mid corner when you check up per se. The extra caster means the car requires LESS camber to feel like its turning. The control arm bushings just plant the car better and remove the "sloppiness" of the stock bushings. Anyone here who has ever driven an Evo knows the feeling of being "one" with the steering. BMW like feeling comes to mind. WHY BMW?..well they run poop tons of caster like 8-9-10 degrees. C32 AMG also comes to mind.

I will think about this more tomorrow. I have to head to bed. We did six 20 minute sessions in karts today. Drove 3 hrs there and 3 hours back so I am worn out.

As for Group-N vs Whiteline? Did those on another 06 spec-b with SAME MODS a week later. Coin toss. Close your eyes and choose.

Myles

Edited by RaceComp Engineering