LegacyGT.com

5MT Transmission Failure(s)

Roldan

Hello,

My Mom has an '05 Legacy GT Wagon with a 5sp manual that she bought new in Jan of '05 after her '99 A6 Avant was totaled. I favored a Subaru to another Audi assuming it would be more reliable. I question that sentiment now as I do not expect major failures in cars at 90k mi.

The car has been regularly serviced at Carter Subaru in Shoreline, WA including oil changes. The dealer is indicating that a bearing has gone bad inside the transmission case. The transmission makes a strange noise at light to medium loads in 3rd and 4th gear. The dealer quoted a price of $2500 to repair the transmission. I think it is ridiculous to have to pay for such a repair in a car that only has 90k on it and would like to know if anyone has had luck getting Subaru or a dealer to cover such repairs.

Also, I've been searching on here to see if I could find a thread that details a STI tranny swap into a LGT wagon but haven't found anything. My understanding so far is that the tranny bolts into place and there are no changes needed to the drive shaft. Is this correct? I also assume that the STI tranny has the front end geared to 3.90 so the rear end gears would have to be changed to match. Are there 3.90 final drives available for the R160 or would it have to be upgraded to a R180? If my parents do have to pay for this repair I would like to use equipment that won't fail in another 90k.

Center diff failure - again?

That was why I did trade my old car ('05 model) - before it did get too bad. And that was a 2.0i. I was quoted something in the vicinity of $1000 for fixing that.

So is this maybe an issue that is frequent on the '05 model for the 5MT? I have seen other threads around here on that issue. And the shop where I brought my car for diagnostic did have another gearbox with the same issue.

Anyway - it would be good to know what exactly was wrong, since this starts to look like a general issue if many are suffering from the same trouble.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54215

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113311

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118933

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2752505&postcount=1099

Edited by ehsnils
453747.png

Don't go to thew dealer bud, you will always pay triple what you'd normally pay at a regular shop.

My friends mom took her crv(honda) to replace the engine and they wanted 2500 for a used engine!!!!!!!!!! (talk about highway robbery)

Meanwhile I went to a friend of mine and got quoted for around 500 - 1000 in a junk yard that was in perfectly good condition

(this is *lower* new york)

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

Roldan bro, you've gotta come clean about it....you are driving you mom's car, launching it and generally driving like you stole it. And the car is tuned. You know what gave it away ? Your knowledge of the gearing ratios and the desire to put an STI tranny into it. If it was your mom's (and moms are unlikely to buy a manual car, regardless of how Euro born and raised they are), you'd be very happy to repair the OEM one because it is her car and you would not care for a better one.

_____

I know people with approximately double the factory power still on the OEM spec gearbox...They are very reliable to about 300 whp (the general wisdom here on the site). You should look into your clutch|TOB options before you split the tranny and do your 2nd, 3rd and 4th synchros. And as far as the tranny swap threads...they are everywhere; there's even one or two stickies and/or Master Threads. And yeah...go elsewhere...$2500 is too expensive.

• Haha 1

EHNILS, this is not worthy of a sticky and it is unlikely to be the center differential in his case. I appreciate your eagerness to help though but your Euro knowledge is superseeded by that of actual GT owners who repaired their transmissions. And if you pass a fine comb thru his statement, no mom's wagon needs an STi tranny unless it is (1) modified; (2) driven aggressively; (3) not driven by the mother

By the way, I just got my car back on the 16th of December after a complete transmission overhaul.

Edited by f1anatic

Some clarification... All information regarding gear ratios specific to this car was gained by searching this site yesterday. I rarely drive this car and have not been launching from stop lights. I'm a licensed road racer so it is not in my nature to go around launching cars from stop lights and I'm also adept at not destroying cars if they are designed and built properly. No one is driving the car incorrectly. The car is used mostly for city driving but it should be able to handle more than 90k with that usage. The car is also stock except for Blizzaks for winter tires and the successor to the RE730 used in the summer.

I want to do the 6MT because they have fewer reliability issues as far as I know and I would expect a fuel mileage increase due to lower revs. The fact that the problem can be identified w/o opening the case indicates that the current 5MT is not up to the task.

I will see my parents tonight hopefully they will have a document that states what the problem is.

Maybe the best solution is to get a junk yard tranny and try to rebuild this one so we can replace transmissions when the clutch is due.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 2006 subaru legacy gt and have blown fifth gear for the second time. The first time the car was stock minus the k&n air intake. The second time was at 330 hp going for the 6mt swap. Any ideas why only fifth went both times.

DROCK - I am dieing to know what the heck happened to your tranny actually...

Let me run this through my teenage discombobulator

Hello,

I drive my Mom's car like I didn't pay for it, because she did. I cooerced and begged her to get a Subaru thinking I would get it eventually. She bought a subaru to replace her Audi that I totaled. My parents have spent a LOT of money at Carter Subaru in Shoreline repairing the damage I have been doing to the car to try to impress my friends. I think it is SOA's fault definately. Maybe tossing in STI parts will make this the perfect car for me and my mom will finally stop driving it and I can be just like the fast guys on the forum.

Seriously I am really sorry to hear about your transmission problems but you gotta' pay to play. Many fourm members say "STAY STOCK - STAY HAPPY."

I honestly believe that you drive your mom's car like it was stolen. "I'm a licensed road racer so it is not in my nature to go around launching cars from stop lights and I'm also adept at not destroying cars if they are designed and built properly." Because young, male wanna-be racers don't ever launch cars that are not theirs! :lol: :lol: I would be way more inclined to believe you if you said it was occasionally driven like it is tracked.

When you race cars and drive them hard, you cannot expect stock parts to wear at the rate they would driven with a gentle touch. You do know that JOHNAWD has over 400whp in his daily driven (loud) LGT??? He is not breaking things and has enough power to make me pee myself.

Do you have an idea what the Nurburgring does to cars? It eats 'em. Seriously. It is said that one serious lap of the Nur is the same as putting over 1000 miles on your car in regular driving, and it is not said jokingly. BMW scraps many ringtaxi every year instead of selling them used. Why? They are DONE. Just done. Those of us that treat our neighborhood like our own private Nur are bound to go through parts pretty quick.

PS - If your mom does drive like an Andretti and you are not allowed anywhere near it, I do appologize but I would say thats about a 1% chance... It is a chance though, after all... MY MOTHER DRIVES AN STI.

Sunscribed to hear what happened to D_ROCK tranny

Edited by LosAngelesLGT
spellng
  • Like 1

DROCK - I am dieing to know what the heck happened to your tranny actually...

Let me run this through my teenage discombobulator

Seriously I am really sorry to hear about your transmission problems but you gotta' pay to play. Many fourm members say "STAY STOCK - STAY HAPPY."

I honestly believe that you drive your mom's car like it was stolen. "I'm a licensed road racer so it is not in my nature to go around launching cars from stop lights and I'm also adept at not destroying cars if they are designed and built properly." Because young, male wanna-be racers don't ever launch cars that are not theirs! :lol: :lol: I would be way more inclined to believe you if you said it was occasionally driven like it is tracked.

When you race cars and drive them hard, you cannot expect stock parts to wear at the rate they would driven with a gentle touch. You do know that JOHNAWD has over 400whp in his daily driven (loud) LGT??? He is not breaking things and has enough power to make me pee myself.

Do you have an idea what the Nurburgring does to cars? It eats 'em. Seriously. It is said that one serious lap of the Nur is the same as putting over 1000 miles on your car in regular driving, and it is not said jokingly. BMW scraps many ringtaxi every year instead of selling them used. Why? They are DONE. Just done. Those of us that treat our neighborhood like our own private Nur are bound to go through parts pretty quick.

PS - If your mom does drive like an Andretti and you are not allowed anywhere near it, I do appologize but I would say thats about a 1% chance... It is a chance though, after all... MY MOTHER DRIVES AN STI.

Sunscribed to hear what happened to D_ROCK tranny

Good thing for him this spoiled brat is not my kid - not that I'd ever subject myself to having any:mad:

Damn, you guys are brutal.

Roldan, there are a couple threads in this forum about putting 6MTs into our cars. Read up on them. And come to some meets (check the northwest forum). If you make the right friends, and are willing to turn a wrench, you might not have to pay for labor to get the 6MT installed.

(I want to put a 6MT in my car, but it would be nice to practice on someone else's first...)

Damn, you guys are brutal.

Roldan, there are a couple threads in this forum about putting 6MTs into our cars. Read up on them. And come to some meets (check the northwest forum). If you make the right friends, and are willing to turn a wrench, you might not have to pay for labor to get the 6MT installed.

Well, may be just buy them beer and pizza.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good thing for him this spoiled brat is not my kid - not that I'd ever subject myself to having any:mad:

I may be brutal but it is hard to feel for him when he clearly states he races the car! :rolleyes:

I *do* want him to get his car fixed. I *do* want him to succeed in racing!!! I *do* want him to be responsible. OWN IT! BE FAST! BREAK SH!T!!! Just own it. I have eaten so much $$$ in parts over the years. (Lets not talk about how stoopidit is feels to break your car streetracing over a $50 bet)

I am only brutal because I was the same dumbass but thanks to my parents, in a cheaper car. (They did not let me drive their cars)

Edited by LosAngelesLGT
edit to make more clear

The car is fixed now. The output shaft bearing failed and was replaced by a local transmission shop for around $800. They also replaced the center diff bearings because they are a common failure point according to the transmission shop. The only reason a STi 6sp swap was only considered is because I would be able to do the labor and the project would be similar in cost to what the dealer wanted to charge.

Yes, I have tracked the car once some 70k mi or so before this happened. I drove it gingerly and limited my speed to 120mph, for comparison when I drove a stock STi there it indicated a speed of 145mph. If you are inclined to say that this is abuse and the car should not be expected to handle it I would you are wrong. My street car sees much more track time that is also more intense. It has never had any problems and now has 145k mi. It is also important to understand that track days are not races they are much different than actually racing a car.

Again, no one is launching it from stop lights. Even if someone was I wouldn't think an output shaft bearing would be the first failure caused by that behavior.

And this is me being a "wanna be racer": [ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7167758574762524620&ei=XchhS7mSK4v2qwOm1-DrAw&q=roldan+de+guzman]H4 Race 9-10-06 PIR[/ame]

What must someone do to be considered a real racer as opposed to a "wanna be" on this board?

Somehow, I missed the fact that you're interested in road racing. Therefore, I retract all my unkind words:). As far as being a "wanna be" racer, we're all "wanna be" racers unless we're making our living doing it. The point is that it takes a certain amount of dedication and passion to prepare a car for the track and then actually do it. I've been a "wanna be" racer since 1962 and I'm still winning and loving it.

And this is me being a "wanna be racer": H4 Race 9-10-06 PIR

What must someone do to be considered a real racer as opposed to a "wanna be" on this board?

Pleased your tranny problems were solved cheaply and easily. Awesome video! Thanks for posting.

Don't be offended by "wanna be" racer. Pretty much everyone is who is not pure pro (and all of them are envious of their betters). Hell, how can you not be with talent Schumacher in the world. Nevermind all the racers who have given their lives to go fast over the years. Richard Burns, RIP, was a real racer - It would be bold for you to put your name down next to him (even bolder to put it on a headstone next to his).

At least you ARE a wanna be racer. Again, accept it. OWN IT. Live it. Only way to be on track at all to be a racer.

Me? I am pushing 36, getting married, going to have kids - I don't even have the energy to be a wanna be anymore. More of an occasional weekend warrior. I owned it. I lived it. I've accepted it.;)

Edited by LosAngelesLGT

• 4 months later...

No broken gears for me but I have some bearings (hopefully that's all) that need to be replaced. Likely will have it opened up sometime this week.

OK, I did have 3rd replaced after a friend of a friend of a friend who didn't know how to drive a stick as well as they let on drove my car for 9 hours. That was fixed under the 5/60 warranty.

Unfortunately I'm at 70K now.

I'll report back with the exact extent after it's fixed.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Cross post (sort of) from the Group N Tranny mount thread...

OK all fixed!

Turns out it was the main bearing in the transfer case that was making so much noise. Apparently this bearing is right at the back of the transmission and right under (approximately) where the shifter comes into the cabin. Hence the reason I could hear it so well!

I brought it home with me and will try and take some pictures of it. Basically the roller bearings were all a little pitted with one or two having some huge pits in them. You can also see where the heat was building up and turning the steel black.

I had all the bearings replaced, the first gear synchro, a helical front LSD installed, a TSK3 tranny snout kit installed and a new ACT HDSS clutch and WRX flywheel installed.

Total damage (parts, labor, shipping and sales tax) was ~$4400. Damn! That's the first time I've added it all up! Maybe I should have just done the 6MT swap!

That breaks down to ~$1200 for the front LSD from Rallispec, ~$1000 (minus $400 in Subaru Bucks so really only $600 ) for the clutch, flywheel, TSK3 and 4 qts. of Extra-S from Fred Beans Parts (Thanks Jeremy and crew!), and ~$2200 for the labor and small parts (bearings, synchro, seals etc.) from a great local Subaru shop Outback Automotive (Thanks JohnJohn and crew!).

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
I rarely drive this car and have not been launching from stop lights.

Yes, I have tracked the car once some 70k mi or so before this happened.

So we go from "rarely driving" to taking on a track at 120+mph with only 20k on the odometer? Thanks mom!

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1
lol