LegacyGT.com

the second coming of dustinsonger's (insert interesting tarmac motorsport here)wagon

dustinsonger

11722446_10206160531866567_7204909224895171357_o.jpg

So i figured a new thread is due. been gone awhile. little problems, as they like to do, kept piling up and kept this thing off the road for far too long. But shes back on the road and has been tearing up mountain passes already with some new goodies. I spend alot of time and am proud to say that everything but the machine work was done by myself.

11731570_10206160532066572_3359511554695946697_o.jpg

10818407_10206160531346554_2154303983945914935_o.jpg

11779919_10206160569547509_604003430336537145_o.jpg

mods list i guess?

Engine:

heat treated sti crankshaft

King bearings

custom Manly rods (2mm longer than stock)

JE "time attack" series "stroker" pistons (99.75 bore)

GSC valves (inconel exhaust)

Tomei adjustable exhaust cam gears

Arp head studs

Gates racing timing belt

Tomei timing belt guard

custom hi flow oil pump

Injector Dynamics 850cc injectors

Turn in Concepts FU cam bolts

KS Tech TGV delete

KS Tech Air Pump delete

Moroso Steel oil pan

Moroso Oil pickup

Borla Unequal Length header

VF52 turbo

custom 3 inch downpipe

custom 3 inch exhaust

ACT streelight flywheel

Southbend endurance clutch

AVO after-maf inlet

AVO turbo inlet

AVO throttle body inlet

Big top mount intercooler that i got from my ex and i cant remember the brand

Drivetrain:

stuff to make big tires work

Suspension:

Stuff to work with my big tires

Wheels:

Things to hold my big tires

Tires:

wide

Aero:

alot of stuff to make my tires stick better

Edited by dustinsonger

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh haha. Well I've got some custom bits, some avo stuff, some other companies stuff, and some custom valved dampeners and if ill be specific on something ive got 8k springs up front and 10k springs in back. Suspension stuff is being adjusted and rethought almost daily at this point. I know the feeling I'm going for and I'm getting close but it has not quite been reached yet.

Pikes peak and the full red line season where the goal for this year but the engine build got out of control and tapped into all my funds for a roll cage and the other safety stuff need for pikes peak. And the engine build took too long to make it to any of the red line events. But yes that is definitely the goal

Holy crap, sir boxkita. I was hoping you would still be active here haha. And no one "likes" the center exhaust haha, but it's the most simple way I could attempt the "dual deck blown diffuser" I've been ranting about for years now haha

Holy crap, sir boxkita. I was hoping you would still be active here haha. And no one "likes" the center exhaust haha, but it's the most simple way I could attempt the "dual deck blown diffuser" I've been ranting about for years now haha

What do they know? :eek:

Do you have pics of the inside where you had to cut out the tire well, assuming that's what you did? Last time we talked about that, I thought you were going to pipe it into the diffuser for a "true" blown thru diffuser? Or did that turn out to be way complex?

Do you have video either of sound and/or rolling shots?

How does the rear end do on corners? Sgt.Gator did the wing on top at the rear axle. Would be curious who's make more downforce on the rear.

Well honestly that was the original plan boxkita, after I got a chance to really sit down and focus on the diffuser design I really kept coming back to the number one problem with wagons (or hatches or vans) and that is that behind the car, it's very hard to keep a smooth flow of air off of the body, since the back creates a huge parachute like spot of low pressure. So my thinking was, let's use the diffuser to open up a slightly low pressure spot just behind the axle, by bringing the upper deck of the diffuser up higher than the plane of flow under the car, then I will separate the turbulent air from behind the tires from the relatively smooth airflow coming out from either side of the driveline run. Keep that open for a punch of faster air coming into the stream behind the car, then I used the center section to form the lower deck that sits at a relatively high angle of attack to produce some downforce BUT also work in conjunction with theach hot high velocity air coming out from the exhaust directly above it to essentially drive a high pressure front into the low pressure area created by the hatch area... or that was my thinking at least.

And kaitanium, to be honest I don't know if they do anything or not but I use this car as a testbed for what I study in fluid dynamics and engineering

Edited by dustinsonger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love how balls-to-the wall this build is. I am curious how much daily usability you intend to retain? There are a ton of things you could probably do if you give up passenger car functions. How far are you planning to go?

Either way I love the experimental nature to it. I wonder if there are some old-school methods of racecar engineering you could apply to generate some actual testing data. Like how much downforce is being generated in the back by monitoring ride height change at speed, etc.

I really should read up more about racecar development.

Thanks for the recommendation guys. and thanks slusbe. i really shouldnt be driving the car on the street at all but i do, when im not having electrical problems from hell at least. the car is fully usable on a daily basis, its part of the whole awkwardness of the car, full interior and a nice jl system since thats what i do for a living haha. and yes there are ways to test the effectiveness of aero, mainly with small high airspeed pressure sensors.

and s2baru, there is definitely nothing tucked about my car haha but the tires are 295's