LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

so if i get a 07 sti trans i can run my stock axels in the front and run my stock diff in the rear? and has anyone tried to make axels by using sti cup for the diff and stock lgt axel for the hub? what driveshaft do i need if i run the 07 sti trans with the stock rear diff?

Can't answer you "?", because I don't know what kind of rear end your running.

Not that I know of as anyone try matting sti cup for the diff and stock lgt axel for the hub.

If your rear end is a R160 (stock GT, LGT & 2.5i & WRX & sub model) or R180 (07 & ^ Spec.B & STi). Reread Post #1 http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2333430&postcount=1 That's answers your "?". What people used & works. When installing the rear end of a 6MT swap.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Can't answer you "?", because I don't know what kind of rear end your running.

Not that I know of as anyone try matting sti cup for the diff and stock lgt axel for the hub.

If your rear end is a R160 (stock GT, LGT & 2.5i & WRX & sub model) or R180 (07 & ^ Spec.B & STi). Reread Post #1 http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2333430&postcount=1 That's answers your "?". What people used & works. When installing the rear end of a 6MT swap.

Mike

When I was doing my swap, I talked to about the only people besides driveshaft shop that may be able to make these (locally) and they looked at the items and said it wasn't really possible, so if it was somehow, it wouldn't be feasible either. Spec Bs are the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread, I can't believe I missed this. If my 5spd ever grenades, I'm going to be swapping in:

- 07/08 Spec B 6spd (I like the 5th and 6th ratios compared to 07 STi and I don't want to mess with DCCD)

- 06 STi Front LSD

- 07/08 Spec B Rear Diff

- Spec B axles/driveshaft

It may cost a little more, but that's the setup I think I will like.

Anyone done a AT to 6spd in the leggy? I know its a CANBUS system so does that mean I can just do all the mechanicals (matching final drives, pedals, master/slave cylinders) and there will be no ECU/ABS/airbag issues?

• 4 weeks later...

Just read this entire thread.

To sum:

If i can find a cheap 06 sti transmission/r180diff, all i would need is a 2.5i auto driveshaft and spec b axles for the r180 diff. DCCD would not be necessary? I realize i could keep my r160 diff, but at this point i trust nothing oem on my vehicle.

Edited by j255c
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Just read this entire thread.

To sum:

If i can find a cheap 06 sti transmission/r180diff, all i would need is a 2.5i auto driveshaft and spec b axles for the r180 diff. DCCD would not be necessary? I realize i could keep my r160 diff, but at this point i trust nothing oem on my vehicle.

07 & up spec. b for the R180 diff.

07 Sti 6MT is the only yr. that I now, the center diff. is half mechanical & half electrical magnet diff. You need to really research this one. DCCD from 06 and earlier was never design to work with out the DCCD controller. It would just be a fancy open diff.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

07 & up spec. b for the R180 diff.

07 Sti 6MT is the only yr. that I now, the center diff. is half mechanical & half electrical magnet diff. You need to really research this one. DCCD from 06 and earlier was never design to work with out the DCCD controller. It would just be a fancy open diff.

Mike

Ok. I've done research:

STI 06 6 Spd MT-allows me to run the 1:1 stepper and retain the r160 rear end. All i would need is to find this transmission, legacy auto 2.5i driveshaft, clutch, flywheel, and spiider dccd system. Holy fawk. Only to break my r160 diff knowing my luck and make me upgrade in the future to spec b axles and a torsen r180 diff.

I been running the R160 LSD on my 6MT swap for 40K+. The R160 is pretty stout. But nothing like the R180. If you don't shock load the R160 you'll be good to go. Until you do the R180,spec.B axle swap.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Ok. I've done research:

STI 06 6 Spd MT-allows me to run the 1:1 stepper and retain the r160 rear end. All i would need is to find this transmission, legacy auto 2.5i driveshaft, clutch, flywheel, and spiider dccd system. Holy fawk. Only to break my r160 diff knowing my luck and make me upgrade in the future to spec b axles and a torsen r180 diff.

You didn't quite. 06-09 STI tranny has 1:1.1 reductor and requires 3.545 rearend. Only 04-05 tranny is 1:1 and requires 3.90 rear end. Your option is to replace ring & pinion in the stock diff or find 02-05 rear wrx diff that is 3.545. 06 wrx and later are 3.70.

Nice catch unclemat. I assumed he was re-gearing his stock R160 diff (4:11 for GT's). To match the gearing of what ever yr. 6MT he gets.

Well you know what happen when assume,:redface::redface:

Mike

You didn't quite. 06-09 STI tranny has 1:1.1 reductor and requires 3.545 rearend. Only 04-05 tranny is 1:1 and requires 3.90 rear end. Your option is to replace ring & pinion in the stock diff or find 02-05 rear wrx diff that is 3.545. 06 wrx and later are 3.70.

Ok, there is a bit of misinformation in groffs 6mt swap thread, Ill copy and paste this stuff into that section.

Shoot goff a PM.

But in the end you need to do your own research & to verify all info. you read. We are only human and do make mistakes, time to time.

Good luck,

Mike

Not that I know of.

But you'll need a ECU out of MT car for the yr. Legacy you're installing the 6MT in. That will take care of you ABS. The air bags have their own computer. So all will be good.

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Shoot goff a PM.

But in the end you need to do your own research & to verify all info. you read. We are only human and do make mistakes, time to time.

Good luck,

Mike

Not a problem, just looking at the options, not making any decisions anytime soon.

Not that I know of.

But you'll need a ECU out of MT car for the yr. Legacy you're installing the 6MT in. That will take care of you ABS. The air bags have their own computer. So all will be good.

Why would I need the MT ECU?

On a A/T cars, the ECU controls the engine, tranny & ABS. On MT cars the ECU controls only the engine & ABS. Air bags have there own computer.

Because the A/T ECU would be looking for input from the A/T. When it does get any. It would go into limp mode. Limiting timing & boost.

Mike

On a A/T cars, the ECU controls the engine, tranny & ABS. On MT cars the ECU controls only the engine & ABS. Air bags have there own computer.

Because the A/T ECU would be looking for input from the A/T. When it does get any. It would go into limp mode. Limiting timing & boost.

Mike

TCU is a separate unit. It's not clear whether you could reflash A/T ECU with M/T map. Maybe you could, but who knows if it would work.

AFAIK AT to MT swap has not been done on 05+ Legacy/Outback, and given the CAN bus and interconnections between ECU, BIU and TCU it may not be simple.

TCU is a separate unit. It's not clear whether you could reflash A/T ECU with M/T map. Maybe you could, but who knows if it would work.

AFAIK AT to MT swap has not been done on 05+ Legacy/Outback, and given the CAN bus and interconnections between ECU, BIU and TCU it may not be simple.

I was thinking the same - that the TCu is separate. Meaning you could just leave it in and splice in the neutral position switch from the MT wiring.

The issue with changing ECUs is the immobilizer etc. So, the more that can stay the better I would think?

Is there any difference between the 04 sti 6speed and the 05. I've located a few fairly priced 04 sti 6speeds with limited mileage. Just made a few calls around, for the price of ppgs sti transmission is a much better decision.

04 has suretrac front diff, 05 has helical diff... otherwise pretty much the same. Upgraded syncros happened only in 06.