teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
I also have a 2009 2.5i and was looking to do the same but after taking a 5 hour trip over the holidays down south with the trunk loaded with luggage I'm not so sure about lowering it, because on stock struts and springs the car got pretty low especially in the back

If you want to spend a little time with it, you can cut a bit off the springs to lower the front end. Most people on here say no (and I haven't seen any post where it's been done), but I'm not sure why. See Herb Adams, Chassis Engineering, pg 34-35 for the "correct" way. But cutting a 1/2 link or so (and seating on the original strut mount) might work to lower the front the amount you want (Subaru does lift the front on their cars a stupid amount). If it doesn't work, then buy new springs. The downside is some time spent experimenting. I'm running Ralliteks on stock struts with a fatter RSB and am happy. I thought about cutting the stockers for the same reason you're talking about.

. . . but I'm not sure why. See Herb Adams, Chassis Engineering, pg 34-35 for the "correct" way. But cutting a 1/2 link or so (and seating on the original strut mount) might work to lower the front the amount you want (Subaru does lift the front on their cars a stupid amount).

I'm not afraid of cutting springs (BTDT), but I'd want to know a bit more abut the spring configuration first. Like, is either end "squared and ground" and the other "tangential"? Or do you have to cut whole coils because of top and bottom seating requirements?

I'd also much rather start with a spring intended for a heavier vehicle, or at least one rated for a heavier load.

Norm

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for an more agresive drop on springs. Thinking Tein S-Techs since I've ran them on my impreza in the past with no complaints. Any thing with a simalar drop. Any vendors or sites you can recomend?

I'm getting coils in the future so not really concerned with the ride.

Can't help you directly but I do have progress bars and can tell you their quality is excellent . I considered them at one time and Pm'ed a member who spoke good about progress springs.

Anyone have progress spring with Konis? I'm interested in how that setup rides. I want a harsh ride that follows the road very closely.

• 2 weeks later...
i have progress springs for the time being and stock struts(installed by previous owner). i dont care about the height just care how the car handles and rides. right now its bouncing really bad on the highway i cant stand it, dont even get me started about the body roll. im looking for a stiff strut that will give me a firm ride that follows the road very well. a strut that i can use the stock top hats and i dont have to cut apart a stock strut to use.

im looking for a stiff strut that will give me a firm ride that follows the road very well. a strut that i can use the stock top hats and i dont have to cut apart a stock strut to use.

No such animal. KYB GR2s are essentially a stock replacement and not a good match for your Progress springs. Either go w/ Konis with your stock top hats or Bilstein HDs with Spec B top hats. JDM Bilsteins and Tokicos also use Spec B top hats.

I was thinking of using the kyb gr2s with the eibach pro kit. Does anyone have any experience with that setup? I like the drop with the eibachs(in front .8in rear) if that combo isn't good what struts would be better suited for the eibachs? Edited by W.K.S.

I was thinking of using the kyb gr2s with the eibach pro kit. Does anyone have any experience with that setup? I like the drop with the eibachs(in front .8in rear) if that combo isn't good what struts would be better suited for the eibachs?

Just went that route myself. I've had the eibach pro kit with stock struts for a couple years - loved it. I just replaced my struts with kyp gr2s. I think they are supposedly rated at about 15% stiffer than stock and based on the feel of my car, i believe it. They are slightly stiffer and at first I thought they were just past my preference level. After a few weeks I have gotten used to them and have decided that they are a perfectly fine alternative to the stock struts.

I was really careful to choose a balanced compromise between daily driver comfort and a step up in performance. I still think that the Eibach/stock strut combo is my favorite but the gr2s won't upset you if you want the same thing as me.

Just went that route myself. I've had the eibach pro kit with stock struts for a couple years - loved it. I just replaced my struts with kyp gr2s. I think they are supposedly rated at about 15% stiffer than stock and based on the feel of my car, i believe it. They are slightly stiffer and at first I thought they were just past my preference level. After a few weeks I have gotten used to them and have decided that they are a perfectly fine alternative to the stock struts.

I was really careful to choose a balanced compromise between daily driver comfort and a step up in performance. I still think that the Eibach/stock strut combo is my favorite but the gr2s won't upset you if you want the same thing as me.

That's interesting. I have Koni's with eibach springs and while I like being able to adjust the struts, realistically I leave them 99% of the time and wish I had a bit softer ride.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon