LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

I always just figured IPT was just placing a resistor and maybe a stiffer spring or two in the valve body. I never even had the urge to buy their valve body when the first few posts I found on it over a year ago had to do with peoples clutches slipping at stage 1 and stage 2. Then when fishbone posted his IPT valve body shift videos, I saw absolutely no difference between his and my stock shifts.

I have tried calling Transgo to figure out when they will be releasing the 5EAT kit and they just keep saying "It's on the back burner, it will be a few more months". I would really like to get the Transgo kit for our cars. I am pretty sure that there is not much of a difference between the 350Z kit and ours, but I wouldn't know where to start unless I had the two valve bodies side by side. I have read a few 350Z installs for the Transgo kit and they seem pretty straight forward. I am very temped to buy the 350Z kit and do the install myself.

ClimberD, I think you are doing great things here and I wish I had the time to be as involved in it as you are. I really really really would like a better shift and better power holding ability for my car, especially now since I am auto-crossing it.

LGT 5EAT car year: 05

IPT VB mod already performed: NO

What he said......: Maybe, I would need a quick turnaround and would want to see the results.

The changed the resistor on the solenoid to trick it into thinking TCU is calling for more line pressure ?

Also, do these mods in anyway increase the hp or torque holding ability ?

My VB was supposed to be installed 23rd, but if your mod becomes available before than, then I am up for going through you method.

Is there a reason you NEED the IPT VB mod right now? If there is no urgent need then don't do it. ClimberD is trying to save everybody $769 even if there is no other solution at this moment (but it looks like there is). I can bet that the difference you would feel in the IPT VB would be very similar to the feel you get when resetting your TCU and letting it relearn all of its settings (which you would be doing anyways by disconnecting the VB and battery for the install).

Save your money and wait for a better solution.

I was beginning to think no one was going to ask! I will post up a proper picture of what it is, and I will post up the TransGo kit for comparison later. Unfortunately I have a booked up Sunday.

Frankly I didn't think you would reveal the big secret. So, spill the beans then....

I hope someone can make these hold up to Stage 2-3+. Kinda regret getting the 5EAT until now, there now appears to be hope. All I want is stage 2-3 power (70-100HP over stock), a tranny the shifts firm and fast and a good sounding exhaust.

It is a resistor. I have installed them in cars. Nothing visibly different except the inline resistor. My 2008 was the first VB mod done by IPT. They had such a hard time figuring out resistor value to trick the ECU that my resistor is outside the VB. It is in the wiring harness on thee side of the tranny. They did not want to go back in and pull the assembly again, lol.

My tranny also blew up on my third pull with OEM fueling and a BNREVO16g. So, whatever they did was useless. Total waste of $1200.

Have installed a few IPT modded VB's since and am very ashamed at what I paid for.

LGT 5eat car year? 05

IPT VB mod already performed? No

Are you willing to pay money? Yes.

I have been leaning more and more toward the VB mod, especially with feeling like I need to upgrade my turbo soon. Really been on the brain. Cool to see this thread pop up...

cmon its Monday... lets get some answers on what IPT has been charging for! :lol:

edit: my guess is they put stickers on the VB. stickers on car = moar powar. stickers on transmission = moar presshar

Edited by snow05gtRI

I'd like to know what's comprised of the fully built 5EAT tranny they offer. I was going to get it when mine retires.

LGT 5eat car year? 05

Are you willing to pay money to ClimberD to preform amazingness on my transmission ? Hell yes.

For comparison sake, keep in mind the TransGo kit comes with 10 new springs, 3 new valves, 3 new check balls, a restrictor orifice, and 4 different-size drill bits to open up 7 tiny passageways. This kit retails for around $250.

My 05 IPT Valve Body consisted of the following changes (note 05-07 VBs are the same part number):

Resistors Added: Zero

Holes Drilled: Zero

Springs Swapped out: Zero

Springs Added: One.

See attached photos to see the contents of the one lucky valve bore, where that shorter spring is added inside the bigger stock spring.

Also note that IPT removed the 4 little filters found deep inside the stock valve body. TransGo says to keep these 4 filters installed, and my gut says the same thing. They are each about double the size of the banjo bolt filters.

$769 buys you one spring, installed, and four filters deemed a good idea by Jatco and TransGo, removed.

But if you go to do this spring install yourself, be careful! You have to take apart the valve body to get inside these valves. There are 5 tiny check balls and 3 springs in two lower valve body decks. If you lose or misplace these upon re-installation, you're pretty much screwed. I spent a lot of time learning how to do this before doing it. You don't need to be a mechanic to do this, but you might want to have an experienced friend help you out the first time.

IMG_1268.thumb.jpg.968289aa17eea5b949109177a50f24ff.jpg

IMG_1277.thumb.jpg.70ba3154e994cf9c2fc7f16d2d90dddc.jpg

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

hmm but on the 08+ they add a resistor (a-la msprank's)?

i wonder if we could show TransGo that we have a certain number of people that would be interested in their VB mod that they could produce something for us? like a committed group buy, with some form of deposits.

or... if you're trying to do the same thing, that is cool as well :D ...are your plans to copy the TransGo version with all the parts you listed?

GT 5eat car year? - 05

Are you willing to pay close to but less than IPT prices (perhaps again) for a proper shift kit modification performed by fellow 5eat performance enthusiast ClimberD himself?

Yes, Yes, and YES! I have been holding off on the IPT service since many members have reported less than stellar output form the VB mod alone. I plan on keeping my 5EAT for a while and would love to be confidant in my ability to make more than stg. 2 power...!

if you can build it to the standards you detail, you'll own the segment.

people here tend to get wet for ipt vb, because as you said, they're the basically only game in town.

i wouldn't worry about establishment v. individual; enthusiasts want pudding, period.

if you could offer a radically better performing product, at a competitive cost, with equal user install effort/downtime/reliability, i don't see any reason you couldn't become the go-to for what is already a fairly popular mod for power-hungry 5eat'ers.

I dont have a 5EAT, but I can attest to the high standards of ClimberD. If he says he's going to get something done and at standard X, you can be assured that it will meet or exceed that standard. While he may take a little longer on some aspects (ah... the external wastegate, :lol:) it is assured to be professional and perfect. He obsesses about things you will never see and that provide 0 gain, so when it comes to things that actually help performance or that you'll see, well you know where this is going.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

TransGo has had 6 years to release a kit. It is not a priority for them. We may be a solid group of enthusiasts, but we are a much much smaller group than the 350Z crowd. HOWEVER, I am retrofitting the 350Z TransGo kit to the 5eat, aiming to do so for a REASONABLE price to the community. The 350Z and 5eat both use the RE5R05A platform from Jatco, so the valves and springs all appear to be the same. But the drilling of holes is completely different. I am spending a lot of time to crack this code of where to drill what size holes for the 5eat. It should yield the exact same result as the TransGo 350Z kit. So we are in luck!

My hunch is that since MSprank was 3000 miles away from IPT with their first 08-09 VB, they didn't have the luxury of trial and error with different springs. So they put on a resistor to accomplish the same thing. If you modify the valve body mechanically, there is no line pressure sensor to tell the TCU to dumb it down.

I can easily buy a 08-09 valve body once I get the 05s-07s sorted out, and produce the first and only "good" solution for the 08-09 LGT crowd.

All of this is costing me a lot of time and a good chunk of money, so all I ask is that you support me via my upcoming products if you determine me worthy, and I'll do my best to support this community with money-saving power-handling transmission solutions.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

If anyone wants me to do an 05-07 valve body modification similar to IPT, I can do that for $250 plus shipping. At this point, this is a gauging interest thread though.

LGT 5eat car year? 06

Are you willing to pay close to but less than IPT prices (perhaps again) for a proper shift kit modification performed by fellow 5eat performance enthusiast ClimberD himself?

Yea... in time... don't have the money yet...

Would you be willing to do the spring mod for like 100$ if people were to send in their VB to you. Would't be as good, I know, but for some of us "broke @$$" folk.. be another option.

Before I modify my first client's valve body, I need to test various setups on my own car. Then once I beat on it hard and confirm it is good, I'll happily start selling my services.

So far it looks like there are two service offerings on the horizon:

1) Stage 1 ClimberD Valve Body Mod, similar to the IPT VB service.

2) Stage 2 ClimberD Valve Body Mod, the TransGo shift kit installed.

What I hope you all realize is that every round of testing I do involves a mess of expensive red fluid. I need to drop the trans pan and remove the whole valve body each time, and I will need to apply a new rtv gasket to the pan each time. I anticipate at least 6 rounds of experimentation, minimum. I have a job and rugby training and other things in my life to manage, and I'm afraid I'm not rich enough to do this without financial compensation. I will price these services as best as I can given my time and my circumstances. I am VERY excited to get this service going and I cannot wait to be involved in making the 5eat performance community a more formidable threat on streets and tracks everywhere.

LGT 5eat car year? 07

Are you willing to pay close to but less than IPT prices (perhaps again) for a proper shift kit modification performed by fellow 5eat performance enthusiast ClimberD himself? Maybe

I'm interested, I haven't done the research to see if there's difference in the Outback and Legacy trans though, this would be for my OBKXT.

What I hope you all realize is that every round of testing I do involves a mess of expensive red fluid. I need to drop the trans pan and remove the whole valve body each time, and I will need to apply a new rtv gasket to the pan each time. I anticipate at least 6 rounds of experimentation, minimum. I have a job and rugby training and other things in my life to manage, and I'm afraid I'm not rich enough to do this without financial compensation. I will price these services as best as I can given my time and my circumstances. I am VERY excited to get this service going and I cannot wait to be involved in making the 5eat performance community a more formidable threat on streets and tracks everywhere.

trust me I understand, I had to front 300$ for the JDM DD kit before I knew if it was going to work... and my wife would have KILLED me if it didn't

On a side note... to save you a bit of $, look into drillind a hole in the pan and taping in a drain. That way you atleast can reuse your ATF and keep spillage to a minimum. also will make life a lot easier. Just an idea.

On a side note... to save you a bit of $, look into drillind a hole in the pan and taping in a drain. That way you atleast can reuse your ATF and keep spillage to a minimum. also will make life a lot easier. Just an idea.

Get out of my head man!!!! I was going to say the same thing.:lol:

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Get out of my head man!!!! I was going to say the same thing.:lol:

Great minds think alike! Thanks for the help with the tune BTW(not to threadjack) I took your right side WGDC with my left. came out pretty nice... little bit left to work on though