LegacyGT.com

Stickey window switch fixed!!

hi everyone, i think i have found a solution to the sticky drivers window switch we all seem to be plagued with. I wish i took pictures, but this was kindof on a whim while i waited for parts to arrive at work and it just happened to solve the issue, so ill do the best i can to explain what i did:

step 1: Remove the door panel. there is a screw behind the little plastc panel in the interior door handle. it will pull out with a small 90 degree picktool. there are also two screws behind the grip handle. this can be removed with a plastic trim tool or a flat tip scredriver wrapped in electrical tape. from the top, pry outwards and the trim piece will pull out. remove the trim that covers the mirror mount and the top right corner of the panel. there are 8 of those plastic clip type fasteners around the outside of the door panel and 1 in the middle near the grip. just pull outwards from behind the panel and they will pop out. *the make noise and it sounds bad, but its not haha*

Step 2: once the panel is loose, unplug the master window switch connector and the puddle light, but DO NOT disconnect the handle rods. they are a pain to get back in and its not necessary. the switch assembly comes out with four philips head screws. remove it and rest the panel back on the door.

Step 3: there are four plastic tabs holding the two black plastic halves of the switch together. gently pry them back and remove the outer trim. this will expose the switch covers.

Step 4: this is the really really important part: using the 90 degree picktool gently pry the sides of the plastic switch off its pivots. THIS SWITCH COVER IS SPRING LOADED SO BE AWARE THAT IT WILL FLY OFF IF YOURE NOT CAREFUL AND PIECES WILL GO MISSING. once the switch cover is off, you will see a valley where it used to sit, a white plastic rod and a spring that goes inside the switch cover. this spring and rod assembly is whats respomsible for returning the switch to its neutral position. there is an upside down "U" shaped tip to the end of the switch cover. if you look inside the switch assembly, you will see another white rod that fits in the U. that is the actual switch, and it must fit back inside that U when you reassemble the switch.

My particular switch had no grease in it whatsoever, so i cleaned out the switch cover and white plastic rod with a mild soap and water solution and dried it off. apply some white lithuim grease to the rod and the inside of the switch cover. also grease the valley where the rod will sit when everything is reassembled.

Step 5: install the spring in the switch cover followed by the white rod and reinstall into the switch assembly. from there, make sure the switch no longer sticks before reinstalling it in the door panel. if it does not, it may be necessary to bore out the switch cover with some 1000 grit sandpaper (or similar) so the rod can move more freely in the switch cover.

good luck, any questions feel free to ask.:cool:

• 6 years later...