View Single Post
#22: 10-16-2006, 06:00 AM

tantal
Title: Contributing V.P.
Car: black&tan 05 LGT ltd wagon, manual
Send a private message to tantal Find all posts by tantal Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2afb View Post
Well, still rollin' on the stock Yokohama's that came on my '06 2.5i SE... They aren't bad, though they could be much better...

Looking for advice for a winter tire... I live in Upstate NY and the winters can get tough... I was looking @ prolly buying a set of 16" steel wheels with some sort of good-for-winter rubber, and then prolly replace the Yokohamas on the stock 17" alloys perhaps this or next spring...

so anyone have advice on a winter tire for my subie in 16 or 17"??? :-)
I used to live in the albany area, and I had two sets of winters on my cars during that time: the michelin arctic alpine (sadly, no longer available) and the blizzak MZ-01. Both were perfectly good for the winters I saw there - the former being more snow/ice oriented, the latter more of a performance winter, leaning toward the snow side of things. It was not as grippy on ice as I would have liked, but it was just excellent in the dry unlike the WS-50 would be.

My recommendation to you, unless you live near buffalo/rochester and get tons of snow, is to avoid the pure snow tire like the WS-50, because the dry performance is just to squishy. I like the michelin X-ice for a snow and for a performance winter, I would suggest the wintersport 3D or the pilot alpin PA2. All three are excellent, available in 205/50/17, and happen to be the cheapest available from 'the rack' in that size.

Decide whether you want to have better grip when the going gets rough (X-ice) or you want better handling for the other 70 - 90 % of the time, depending on the winter.