Drift Monkey
Title: Banned
Car: Subaru Legacy 2.5GT 5MT
Find all posts by Drift Monkey Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Main Entry: stutˇter
Function: verb
Etymology: frequentative of English dialect stut to stutter, from Middle English stutten; akin to Dutch stotteren to stutter, Gothic stautan to strike -- more at CONTUSION
intransitive senses
1 : to speak with involuntary disruption or blocking of speech (as by spasmodic repetition or prolongation of vocal sounds)
2 : to move or act in a halting or spasmodic manner <the old jalopy bucks and stutters uphill -- William Cleary>

Main Entry: shudˇder
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): shudˇdered; shudˇderˇing /-d(&-)ri[ng]/
Etymology: Middle English shoddren; akin to Old High German skutten to shake and perhaps to Lithuanian kuteti to shake up
1 : to tremble convulsively : SHIVER
2 : QUIVER

As you can see, both terms "stutter" and "shudder" could be used to describe a car that shakes under acceleration. And by definition, stutter means "hesitates intermittently." As for the misspellings, they are of no real consequence, since everyone understands the intent. So, please, no more comments about correct terminology, since it really doesn't help the discussion.

My car definitely stutters when I apply medium throttle in 2nd and 3rd gear. I have 2100 miles, and have never used less than 93 octane gas. I do think that it is related to the computer/fuel system somehow. The car WANTS to take off, but for some reason the computer holds you back.
pwnd by teh dictionary.