LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

I made lots of mods getting ready for Pacific Raceways this weekend:

1) New dry sump pump installed with a larger (4.5") pulley. The larger pulley should help, but it's not as big as I'd like. I have a 5.5" - 6" coming. These pulley use a Fenner Mini Torque bushing instead of set screws. I really like the Fenner bushing a lot better.

2) I installed a larger oil cooler and moved it to the front. Over the course of this thread the oil cooler started off by the SRRT with a sandwich plate adapter feeding oil to a cooler mounted in front of the driver front tire. I never liked that location so I got a smaller cooler, mounted it in the former battery tray, and fed air to it with a NACA duct. Then with the dry sump I deleted the sandwich plate off the oil filter and fed it directly from the DS. Now I've re-installed the feed from the sandwich plate but moved the cooler to the front grill. It sits on top of the FMIC. I also did a ton of sealing/ducting work to force the air thru the FMIC/Oil cooler/Radiator rather than it going around them. You can't see that work in the pics. :

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230186&stc=1&d=1463035115

3) Another big change is my new CAI thru the headlight system:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230187&stc=1&d=1463035301

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230188&stc=1&d=1463035390

4) The NACA ducts now serve as secondary brake ducts/tire coolers.

5) Replaced all but one of the turbo - intercooler silicone hoses and I'm trying a new style of clamp. The one hose not replaced will be next week when it comes in.

When I get back from the races the next projects will be moving the DS tank and simplifying the front splitter installation process.

Hope to see some of you at the races.

1849467668_2016OilCooler1.thumb.jpg.661fbd9da4ecc32faa54727b44b5813e.jpg

1882850411_2016CAIandOilCooler1.thumb.jpg.2131bb0ee44a5a9605d677c6ad970145.jpg

628756631_2016CAI1.thumb.jpg.703b792369047b85357a6442f03810e0.jpg

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Friday the 13th and the Pacific Raceways Curse

Test &Tune, Friday the 13th.

The Silver Eagle was running strong. I was running consistent 1:39s, right on the edge of 1:38s. The new wing really helps.

Last year here I blew my engine.

Last practice test of the day. 120+mph on the main straight. POP! No power. None. I'm praying its a turbo hose pop off. It's not.

I am towed into the paddock. I tried to start the car, my wife says "Honey it sounds like you've got rocks in the engine."

About that time our very own Boxkita says "Oh, that sounds bad."

It a strange sound, it sounds like something inside the timing covers is smacking against them. And zero power, won't start. It really does sound like rocks in the engine.

So we're packing up and heading home Saturday morning.

Racing can be so up and down! :mad:

The master of the understatement, I am. And yeah, oh noes. That was not the sound you want to hear.

The filter sticking out looks funny but a brilliant solution for cold air intake.

I'll see you soon!

While contemplating my next move with the race car Boxkita stepped up and made me an offer. I've known he's wanted this car for years going back to it's SRRT days and I honestly couldn't think of a better person to entrust this car to. Even better he's an ICSCC conference racer in the NW so the car will still be close by and part of our racing scene.

The deal is done, I'm officially passing the baton of the #1 SRRT Legacy GT race car to Boxkita. ( Well it will be official if his check doesn't bounce!)

I'll be going thru my parts bin and listing all my LGT stuff soon. I'll likely be buying/building another Subaru drivetrain car like an 818 or STI, but not very likely it will be a Legacy. It's a good thing Boxkita made the deal with me at the racetrack and not my house, he was rummaging around my stuff and grabbing anything that looked vaguely like it was related to a Legacy GT race car.

I do intend to stay active in this thread and help Boxkita with getting the car on track. Considering the drama this is going to bring I figure I'll be active here for several more years. :)

A big thanks to all here who helped with my journey into racing an LGT. You've been helpful and I truly appreciate the community support. I've made several friends in person and virtually that I met thru this forum and for that I am truly grateful.

Thanks!

Gator

Thanks, Gator. I hope I can maintain at the same level as you have going forward. Perhaps I'll come down to pick up the bill of sale, would be easier for both of us. I'll bring the trailer so I can get the rest of the wheels, etc.

Plans for this year include coming to grips the actual amount of work involved in keeping the wagon racing as opposed to lapping days. Figuring out all the systems and making a list of what still needs doing. I also need to change my engine rebuild from street to track. What was fine for an over-powered street motor is not so fine for an endurance race motor. For the time being, the car is in storage until I can clear the garage of Miata parts and stripping my wagon of non-essential parts.

Thanks, Gator. I hope I can maintain at the same level as you have going forward. Perhaps I'll come down to pick up the bill of sale, would be easier for both of us. I'll bring the trailer so I can get the rest of the wheels, etc.

Plans for this year include coming to grips the actual amount of work involved in keeping the wagon racing as opposed to lapping days. Figuring out all the systems and making a list of what still needs doing. I also need to change my engine rebuild from street to track. What was fine for an over-powered street motor is not so fine for an endurance race motor. For the time being, the car is in storage until I can clear the garage of Miata parts and stripping my wagon of non-essential parts.

You aren't coming near my house with a truck and trailer! :eek:

First thing, remove the LI-ION battery. The ECU will draw it down to 0 volts in 3 days, which will damage it. Battery Tender makes a LI-ION trickle charger for it.

I forgot to mention above that I still have the 2008 Spec B. Hmmmmmmmmm. ;)

My sponsor, Subaru of Bend, is excited to sponsor another car, preferably an STI, so I closed a deal on Mike Conatore's 2005 STI race car last night.

So I'm still in the land of Subaru turbo cars, just a slightly different platform. And since I still have my Spec B DD I'll be continuing to haunt ya'll here.

Boxkita I'm putting together a Care package for you of bits & bobs I'm finding around the shop. I'll deliver it to you the next time we're at a track together.

I'll start a new thread in the Racing forum on the STI. First thing up will be designing a new graphics package.

1399547_637613222945100_1529058808_o.jpg

1923897537_PacificRaceways2016RainSTI.thumb.jpg.e32c31c4858792ca16fd87fe420ea8bf.jpg

Ya'll are brutal!

The new thread is up!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/colonel-red-racing-2005-sti-race-car-252949.html?p=5407012#post5407012

Help me decide on a new graphics scheme. The car now looks kind of boring!