View Single Post
#2: 07-26-2014, 06:11 PM

DAP
Title: Senior Member
Car: White 2005 Legacy GT LTD sedan
Send a private message to DAP Find all posts by DAP Reply With Quote
I got the rest of the bulbs today. I was able to install the rear blinkers with no trouble, much longer cable connected to the socket, and the trunk liner was not in the way.
The centre brake light was a bit more trouble to access, but once I figured out that it was made of 3 pieces, not two, it was fairly straight forward.

The big disappointment came when I tried to install the front blinkers. I bought 3157_42_WA2_CK_5K bulbs, and they are too big to fit. They fit in the socket fine, and fit through the hole into the fixture, but they run into the lens, and I can't engage the catches that hold the socket in place.

This is currently the biggest problem buying LED replacement lamps today, there is no fitment guide. At best, they point you at the Sylvania web site which tells you which kind of incandescent bulbs go where in your car, but the LEDs come in CK style wiring and standard wiring (Incandescent bulbs work with both wirings), and the LED bulbs are often bigger than the incandescent bulbs they are replacing, so they don't always fit.

edit: I have attached a photo of the incandescent blinker I was trying to replace, the replacement LED blinker, and the bulb I used for the rear brake lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulbsize.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	188428  

Last edited by DAP; 07-26-2014 at 06:32 PM..