View Single Post
#21: 12-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Aftermarket Headunit Install part 1

covertrussian
Title: Boost Junkie
Car: LGT, FXT, G20+T
Send a private message to covertrussian Find all posts by covertrussian Reply With Quote
Legacy GT's all came with dual climate control, while it keeps the marriage be in harmony on long trips, Subaru decided to marry the climate control into the radio. That means it's one giant unit, and you try to take out out you loose the other. Now you can get a JDM dual climate control unit that is separate thus giving you a double din area, but the cost of them alone is around $350, then add on the cost of stereo and the wallet starts to cry.

The idea is to put the radio into the ashtray/cig lighter location. The idea comes from this thread.

Remove the ashtray and cig lighter

Sadly there is an airbag module with plastic wall in the way, I'm not sure how the guy in the Legacy thread was able to fit his radio in, perhaps it's much shorter then mine? Just can't get that angle in without hitting things.

Pulled the stereo out, look how much space there is being eaten by the stock setup!

Here is the clunky radio and climate control

Started dremeling, still can't get the angle right or enough space to clear the airbag module, thus cut the divider off altogether.

Finally can get the headunit in

Now gotta get the shifter bezel comply, cut the tabs to be able to get the head unit closer.

As you can see that's still not enough, needs a bigger window

Now it fits better

Install to get my dreams crushed by the airbag module not letting me to angle it enough!

After working on it for a few days, It was snowing, thus I wanted to be done with it until the spring so just found a way to mount it for now.

Last edited by covertrussian; 08-06-2014 at 08:30 PM..