2005 Subaru Legacy GT 5MT
Banjo Filter Removal
"Comfortable Daily" Build
Invidia Uppipe Part 1 Part 2
Spark Plugs & Sidegaping
Lightweight Crank Pulley
Timing Belt Replacement
Cam Seal Replacement
Closed Loop to Open Loop Delay Disable
Stock Tune MPG
: 24.6mpg Highway
AVCS Emissions Hole
- 26.1mpg (+1.5mpg)
- Set AVCS to 10* at cruising RPM's
MPG Tune V2
- 26.9mpg (+.8mpg)
- Lower cruise boost, EGT at 700*F
- 23.2mpg (-3.7mpg) - Increased AVCS to 30*, too much overlap caused MPG loss.
- 29.60mpg (+2.7mpg)
- Increased AVCS advance to be 15* across the board.
EMUSA WRX Front Endlinks
Front Lowercontrol Arm Rear Bushing: Whiteline KCA334
Kartboy Short Throw Shifter
Headunit Install Part 1 Part 2
09 Key/Fob Upgrade & Programming
General Build Posts
Passenger Front Wheel Bearing, Ball Joint
Transmission Oil, Kartboy STS, Cabin Filter
Brake Bleeding, Diff Fluid Change, Parking Brake Adjustment
Stock Exhaust Size and Aerodynamics
Stock Airbox & Resonator Removal on Stock Downpipe
Here is a list of common issues found with these cars.
- Turbo Failure around 80k miles - There are two things that can cause this:
1. Subaru used turbo oil feed banjo filters that get clogged and restrict oil flow to the turbo. Failure Example
2. Subaru used a preturbo catalytic converter that breaks up overtime and gets logged into the turbo. Please note 2007+ LGT no longer have cats in up pipes. Failure Example
- Throwout Bearing failure at around 60k miles - The push type clutches have badly designed throw out bearings that will get stuck on the pressure plate and destroy the input shaft's snout. There is a Tranquil TSK3 snout kit, use this if your snout if yours already has damage. Sadly there is no permanent fix, even TSK3 TOB's will fail at about 60k miles.
- Fans always stay on - This on is 5MT specific, the secondary radiator fan relay can damage the ECU causing the fans to always stay on. There is an official recall for this.
- Dual Mass Flywheel - Dual mass flywheels should be shunned from all cars, they are big & heavy and only lead to problems. More info on DMF's. Luckily you can upgrade to 07+ single mass setup (flywheel + clutch).
- Wheel Bearings! - As with all Subaru's, be ready to replace all of the wheel bearings. Allwheeldriveauto.com Did a two part series on Subaru bearings: Part 1, Part 2
- Dual Climate Control is physical tied to Radio - This is a major inconvenience (if you want to user aftermarket head unit) and has issues too. If one fails it takes the other down with him, LCD screens are known to give out on these too. There is a JDM Console Swap but it will cost you around $350 for the whole setup.
- Front O2 Sensor Failure - Seems like the Front O2 sensors fail rather often, this is probably because of the O2 sensor being in before the turbo, thus is exposed to very nigh temperatures.
I'm fairly new to Subaru's but have been building FWD SR20 Nissan's for a while now. I made the switch to a LGT for daily driving because traction on a boosted FWD car is near impossible to find for power goals that I like to have.
Some pictures of my other toys
2000 Infiniti G20 - GT28R + 6 Speed Swapped - Legacy GT is replacing this car
2001 Nissan Sentra SE - JDM SR20DET + T25 + BC Coilovers/Ton suspension mods
2004 Forester XT - STI Uppipe, Wife's car great DD/off roading vehicle