View Single Post
#26: 11-25-2013, 03:58 AM

dgoodhue
Title: Senior Contributor
Car: '12 Legacy 2.5i 6spd
Send a private message to dgoodhue Find all posts by dgoodhue Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD123 View Post
The TDI comes with the connectivity package, so I guess I should have looked at the SE with the connectivity package, which is only $2800 cheaper than the TDI - sorry (to most folks shopping for a car around $20k, $2800 isn't negligible...) both the cars come with 16" alloy wheels, and the only other difference is the TDI engine.

Fuel economy is very, very driver dependent - it's great that you get 8% better mileage than the claimed, but to be fair you'd need to compare similar driving on the gas engine - comparing manufacturer claimed mileage is a much more valid approach since the same procedures are used to acquire the data for both cars. On average, I typically get 10% or so above the rated mileage for my LGT, but that doesn't mean the values Subaru claims are incorrect. Using the published data for both cars, and the going rate for diesel vs. gas, the gas engine is cheaper to drive.

Resale is a tough one without knowing how vehicles are optioned up - and if you keep the car for a while, $3k now is worth more than $3k say 5 to 8 years from now (inflation).
The SE is also an upgrade motor 1.8T. The base model 2.0 Jetta S is 16.7K but doesn't come with all the features of the TDI.

I am not arguing against diesels, they are more popular with enthusiasts because of the torque diesels have. They much more satisfying to drive than an appliance like a Prius and they can be modified to be quicker still with near Prius like fuel economy.