View Single Post
#24: 11-24-2013, 07:54 PM

tytek
Title: Kubica's Chauffeur
Car: '13 MILFfinder, '02 C5Z, '01 C5ZR
Send a private message to tytek Find all posts by tytek Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD123 View Post
The TDI comes with the connectivity package, so I guess I should have looked at the SE with the connectivity package, which is only $2800 cheaper than the TDI - sorry (to most folks shopping for a car around $20k, $2800 isn't negligible...) both the cars come with 16" alloy wheels, and the only other difference is the TDI engine.

Fuel economy is very, very driver dependent - it's great that you get 8% better mileage than the claimed, but to be fair you'd need to compare similar driving on the gas engine - comparing manufacturer claimed mileage is a much more valid approach since the same procedures are used to acquire the data for both cars. On average, I typically get 10% or so above the rated mileage for my LGT, but that doesn't mean the values Subaru claims are incorrect. Using the published data for both cars, and the going rate for diesel vs. gas, the gas engine is cheaper to drive.

Resale is a tough one without knowing how vehicles are optioned up - and if you keep the car for a while, $3k now is worth more than $3k say 5 to 8 years from now (inflation).
Just look on fuelly for avg consumption data and draw your own conclusions for any car - it doesn't get much more real world than that.

As far as included equipment, you also get heated pleather seats in the TDI, as well as GTI suspension in the Golf TDI, and a better stereo. I am not trying to be picky here, just offering a different point of view, with complete arguments that I used when I was car shopping.

Diesel engine, with its abundant torque, and a sweet 6spd manual was a great combination that I found more rewarding to drive (even flog) than the gasser. I also chipped my car with a Revo tune, which would only apply to a turbo version of the gas engine, and that costs about the same as the TDI. While its overall performance was close to the gas engine, the archaic 2.5L sucked in more ways then one (I had a 2010 JSW TDI). To each his own, but knowing all the facts helps inquisitive buyers more fully understand their options. And that's why I posted my story in this thread.

My TDI, with lots of miles, was traded in on a used 5th gen LGT. So, to me at least, a turbo gas option proved more enticing than the diesel after all . Still, I appreciated my affair with the TDI and came out ahead when I decided to sell it. YMMV.

BTW, same arguments can be made when deciding to buy a LGT vs. 2.5i...