View Single Post
#8585: 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM

stm25rs
Title: Contributor
Car: 2007 Acura TL
Send a private message to stm25rs Find all posts by stm25rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC5.2 View Post
Every car I have ever owned has had alloy wheels, and when I have checked them after a few miles, they have never needed torquing down again.

That said, I still check.

I also had an inspection shop leave lugs loose. Damn near lost a rear wheel on my old Forester. I pulled over with 2 lugs left.
I've learned my lesson....this is the first time I've heard of needing to check the torque after putting wheels back on, but it makes sense, and is now something I'll be sure to do after every time they're off. I'd guess most shops just go way over factory torque specs with their air wrenches, and as a result, it's rare to see loose lug nuts.

Semi-relevant story my Dad has told me: He was driving on the highway one day, and saw a lady with a seriously flat tire. He tried to wave her down and get her to pull over, but to no avail. A short while later, it blew, and she pulled off. He stopped to help change the tire. What did he find? One lug nut on the flat tire Solution? He put the spare tire on, and used one lug nut from the 3 good wheels to keep the spare on.

Last edited by stm25rs; 05-17-2013 at 09:36 PM..