View Single Post
#8: 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Title: Burning Monkey
Car: 99 OBL, 04 Accord EX 6MT coupe
Send a private message to Kennyfvholla Find all posts by Kennyfvholla Reply With Quote
Originally Posted by pleaidestar View Post
For real kenny? Not removing the motor? Didn't know or think that repair was was possible without the motor coming out. I was quoted around 1500 to have mine done, but I did it myself for around 400 and some change.
Yep, I didn't remove the engine the second time I did the gaskets in my second Subie. It's very possible, and easier than removing the whole motor. Space is a bit more cramped, but it's not terrible. If you know you need to replace (or should replace) the oil/air separator plate, or the clutch might be due, or something of the sort, then taking the engine out is worth it while you're already tearing everything apart.

I will not remove the engine if at all possible. Not saying it's that much harder to do, but it's just inconvenient if it doesn't need to be out.

I did my gaskets for about $350 including materials and parts the first time around. The second car didn't cost as much because I only needed parts. I think it was $80 for the gaskets and $100 for any other gaskets I needed.