View Single Post
#8: 05-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Kennyfvholla
Title: Burning Monkey
Car: 99 OBL, 04 Accord EX 6MT coupe
Send a private message to Kennyfvholla Find all posts by Kennyfvholla Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleaidestar View Post
For real kenny? Not removing the motor? Didn't know or think that repair was was possible without the motor coming out. I was quoted around 1500 to have mine done, but I did it myself for around 400 and some change.
Yep, I didn't remove the engine the second time I did the gaskets in my second Subie. It's very possible, and easier than removing the whole motor. Space is a bit more cramped, but it's not terrible. If you know you need to replace (or should replace) the oil/air separator plate, or the clutch might be due, or something of the sort, then taking the engine out is worth it while you're already tearing everything apart.

I will not remove the engine if at all possible. Not saying it's that much harder to do, but it's just inconvenient if it doesn't need to be out.

I did my gaskets for about $350 including materials and parts the first time around. The second car didn't cost as much because I only needed parts. I think it was $80 for the gaskets and $100 for any other gaskets I needed.