View Single Post
#15: 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Nolmers06LGT
Title: Warum? Weil Rennwagen
Car: '06 LGT 5mt sedan; 152k; STGslow
Send a private message to Nolmers06LGT Find all posts by Nolmers06LGT Reply With Quote
Relevant posts from other threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolmers06LGT View Post
I picked up my loaner truck for transportation purposes and prepped my garage for the timing belt install. I'm reviewing my install walkthru's, but does anyone have any specialty tools, tips, etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silvarubiLGT View Post
Crank pulley tool, then again you have an M/T so it shouldn't be too difficult. Check timing marks, again.. and again..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolmers06LGT View Post
How important is it to lock the cams? There are all sorts of specialty tools suggested to keep the cams aligned, but it seems like you'd need to remove the clamps in order to remove/install the timing belt.
Quote:
Locking the cams comes down to how good you are really, if the belt lines right up w/o any wrestling you shouldn't need the cam keepers, if you wrestle with it, and a cam turns, well, you can imagine..
Quote:
the bumper definatly makes it easier on the back, the radiator doesn't need to come out but gives you a lot more room, and is worth the 20 min.
So, I'm going to start installing the final parts tonight. My plan is to start the teardown after work and hopefully install the fresh parts after work tomorrow. Any other experience/tips etc. would be greatly appreciated.

My question- How much should I worry about locking the cams? Will I be alright if I realign the timing marks, but not clamp the cams? I think I'm going to pull the radiator, as I could afford to flush the coolant anyway.

I also will be pulling the LCA's tonight so I can press out the old bushings at work tomorrow. Do I need any specialty tools for this?

Last edited by Nolmers06LGT; 04-04-2013 at 10:24 AM..