View Single Post
#1: 03-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Help with front differential on 99 legacy outback

99-outback
Title: New Member
Car: 99 legacy outback limited
Send a private message to 99-outback Find all posts by 99-outback Reply With Quote
Hello all,
In the process of removing the drive shaft the stub shaft from the differential pulled out damaging my differential seal. At first I thought it was pulling hard just from being stuck but then it all popped out. Then I went ahead and got a new seal to replace the damaged one. But the problems started when I removed the (outer bearing/seal retainer cap). I did think ahead and mark the cap with paint pen so I could properly tighten it back down, but in the hurried confusion I forgot to remark it after running it threw the parts washer. Thankfully I only did this to one side. The other side i removed with a ground down chisel and broke off one of the nubs i later used this as a reference point because it also was run threw the parts washer. I promptly made a spanner tool that worked much better and did not break any more nubs.

My question is how can I reset the preload on the second cap to the correct spot.

Question number 2: while i had bearing cap out on the passengers side i also pulled the cap from the drivers side witch caused the differential to fall down in its case. I aligned the shaves by eye and put the bearing cap back on. My question to this is: will this be O.K. or damage the differential?

Any help would be very much appreciated, Thanks in advance.
Sponsored links