View Single Post
#1: 03-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Burning major oil, what should I do?

Living Legacy
Title: Senior Member
Car: '05 LGT, '05 Yamaha FZ6
Send a private message to Living Legacy Find all posts by Living Legacy Reply With Quote
I recently (two months and 2K miles ago) noticed that my car went from using -1.5 qts every 3k to 3/4qt in 500 miles! I haven't noticed any other issues and I have no reason to believe that anything went wrong when I replaced the timing belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, thermostat, etc. around 2K miles ago... but it still begs to ask, is there anything that I could have done to increase oil consumption during the maintenance?

I know I'm not leaking the oil (though there is some seepage of gaskets as typical with 105K) but it's got to be going somewhere (haven't seen blue smoke, just the typical grayish smoke under WOT).

I know how much a pain in the ass changing the spark plugs were, is a compression test the next step or is there something a little less intrusive I can check first?

And just to make the thread interesting... I've decided to switch from Rotel T6 5W-40 synthetic to Subaru OEM synthetic 5W-30 during my next oil change, think that'l help?

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored links