Well 5 weeks later I can finally resume this project. I bought a volume ribbon on ebay to replace the one I messed up. The guy sent it out to the wrong address and was marked as "undeliverable as addressed". I opened up an eBay dispute case with him and when the package came back to him he resent it to my real address which also went "undeliverable as addressed". I had enough of it and escalated the case to let eBay handle it. The guy refunded me my measly $17 and I ordered a new ribbon from a different seller.
Also, I ordered a solder sucker from amazon and received that 4 weeks after I placed the order. Hopefully all of the obstacles have been cleared and I can get the Nexus back in my car soon.