View Single Post
#8: 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM

pleaidestar
Title: macaque
Car: 2000 L wagon // 1990 ls wagon (flea-bag)
Send a private message to pleaidestar Find all posts by pleaidestar Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCEJ22E1 View Post
The EJ18E shares it's internals w/EJ20E, EJ20D, & EJ22E, & they have the same strength as those found in the 22T, so there is no need to swap internals. There are people out there boosting them the way that they are because they are apparently very strong little engines.

The heads of the 18E are very similar to those of the 22T/E to the point where you cannot tell the difference between them externally. Internally, the 18E heads would be suitable for boost if they were drilled & tapped & had 22T cams in them. Other than that, there is no need to change heads, IF your head gasket is thick enough.
I believe that the 18E heads have a lower cc than that of the 22E/T heads. I'll have to double check on that.

The REAL question is whether or not one can put DOHC heads on an 18E block, like 25D heads or 20K heads, for example. That would be a great upgrade for 18E blocks.
That 18/25d hybrid sounds neat for sure..it should work in the theory, I just wonder how the galleys and jackets line up or even if the headgaskets are the same.

If the block and heads are basically the same then the the rods and stroke are probably just shorter, said the rods aren't forged in the 1.8. though,That would be a good dual cam turbo motor. That means the exhaust mani and downpipe from ej22t would work too (in theory. ...kinda sounds like a crazy little build.