View Single Post
#7: 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM

bluesubie
Title: Senior Member
Car: 2004 FXT
Send a private message to bluesubie Find all posts by bluesubie Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by orndog View Post
You are referring to "break in oil" which is not used.
Depends what you mean my "break-in" oil. If you're referring to an oil that is different at the factory than what you get from the dealer, then yes, a break-in oil is used and is fine to run to 7,500 miles. This is from Idemitsu Lubricants of America:

Quote:
You ask some very good questions which I will answer in “generalities”. First, just so you know where the information is coming from, Idemitsu supplies most of the OEM’s for both Factory fill and service fill....

OEMs specify Moly in their factory fill formulations to increase fuel economy during the initial period. In general a factory fill formula will be more robust in the additive treatments etc. This is done for a variety of reasons which I will not go into here.

Some of the service fill formulations also contained molybdenum however, with the transition to the ILSAC GF-5 specification, most 0W-20 service fill 0W-20 formulations now do not have Moly. That being said, you are always safest following the OEMs recommendations. All service fill OE formulas that we supply have been submitted to a full battery of tests at that respective OEM’s R&D facilities in Japan and have been approved.
A used oil analysis on the factory fill will also show that it is more robust in moly (also in the assembly lube), zinc, and phosphorus, than the dealer Idemitsu Subaru oil.

-Dennis