View Single Post
#14: 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM
non-resistor plugs and RF

qiman
Title: Junior Member
Send a private message to qiman Find all posts by qiman Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
So your saying I could run a non-resistor plug on my stock ignition system Subaru engine to improve its ignition efficiency? I get why they would be better and I understand that a resistor plug is to help with interference with onboard electronics. But to make that system be 100% effective I would also need a ultra low resistance wire as well. This is from NGK's website. " In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion"
Yes on the improved ignition efficiency and the non-resistor plugs are about the same cost. The NGK v grooved racing plugs I got were about $15 for 4 of them and that included shipping.

The resistance/suppression is supposed to reduce RF intereference. In the last 15 years, this Subaru is the only car where I left in resistor plugs for this long - all the other cars - Civic DX, 200SX with the v6 3 liter, 240z (no computers of course, but still), Kia Sportage (2001) and I have never heard a buzz on the radio or had any problems with the electronics. If anyone finds they have issues, they can always change back to resistor plugs. They're cheap enough to find out.

Here is my perspective on RF. Almost every big of RF is generated at a spark gap. If you use an oscilliscope and look at the gap, you will see that although you start with HV DC, at the gap, you actually get a high frequency AC waveform. That is where interference comes from. If you have that plug sitting on the bench, you will see your normal volt meters, etc... glitch because of a mix of the EMP and the RF at the gap.

A lot of materials absorb RF like metals, various plastics, etc... for example, if you have an antenna in both the UHF and VHF ranges for the purpose of mixing frequencies (heterodyning), you don't want to house those antennas in metal, various plastics, etc... because those absorb the RF. If you have a piece of ABS plastic and put it next to a glass of water in a microwave over and turn it on for a minute, the ABS will NOT heat up because that particular plastic does not absorb RF. So, ABS is a very good material to house the antennas in.

Since metal does absorb a good amount of RF, when that RF is created in the gap, the fuel/air mixture absorbs some of that RF but so does all that metal that is surround it - the head and engine block - one giant sink for the RF. I have never seen that the RF is an issue with electronics in that situation.

Will you have RF interference? You could, I can only speak for my own experience, but the fact is that a non-resistor plug will allow a bit higher voltage (because of less voltage drop from the resistance) and that lets higher current move over the gap so permits a bigger spark.

When doing bench tests with my plasma method, the impulse is so strong, the EMP (electromagnetic pulse) was interfering with electronics 20 feet away, but that is out in the open. I was creating plasma balls on a spark plug and some were larger than a golf ball, literally. You can see the third one below - but blasts that big will destroy your plugs, valves, etc... those blasts were nothing but tap water. The impulse is so strong that you don't have to electrolyze water - with simple water vapor, the impulse rips the molecules apart to their atomic state and then instantly burns the hydrogen. The Lorentz force is an electromagnetic field that is produced upon these impulses and launches the plasma off of the plug into the combustion chamber to burn everything.

Ground strap in normal position

Ground strap in vertical position
to open up the gap really big.

Anyway, yes, non-resistors will increase efficiency and yes there is possible interference so I can't guarantee it won't give you interference, I've just never seen it with the plugs in an engine because I believe all the block and head metal are instantly grounding it out so it is a non-issue. For stereo's, there have been RF filters on those for ages and almost nobody ever gets buzzing on their speakers when revving up the engine anymore.