View Single Post
#11: 02-16-2013, 03:26 AM

qiman
Title: Junior Member
Send a private message to qiman Find all posts by qiman Reply With Quote
Thanks Osei.

@anyone interested - I just received these plugs: NGK R5671A-11, #6596 and they're the lowest ohm non-resistor plugs I've seen. Measured from 0.00 ohms to 0.3 ohms each so these are absolutely perfect for the plasma.
Even if you don't use the plasma ignition, there will be an automatic increase in combustion efficiency.

Normal Kettering spark ignition can be 0.01 (yes - 1/100th of 1% efficient) and the reason is because most of the energy that leaves the coil is lost in the line resistances in the ignition cables and spark plugs. This has been known and documented for ages. With only non-resistor plugs as an upgrade, you drastically increase the spark efficiency even if you keep the same cables. Plugs are commonly 5000 ohms or more! That's ridiculous.

I'm now waiting for my custom made ignition cables. I've seen the popular "performance" cables that claim to be low resistance at 300 ohms per foot. To me, that is crazy high resistance. The ones I'm having made will be close to 0 (ZERO) ohms per foot. So basically, with those and non-resistor plugs, I will have spark efficiency of around 99.xx% or so. That is 9900 TIMES increase above a typical Kettering Spark ignition that is commonly around 0.01% efficient.

If you use a scope to measure the voltage difference across a resistance of 6000 ohms, which would be minimum for a normal plug and cable series, that will tell you how much current you're getting. If the coil is 20,000 volts, you will have x voltage difference between the input end of the able and the tip of the spark plug electrode.

That current available is the electron current that moves from the ground electrode towards the center hv electrode in the opposite direction - that is the case if the HV polarity is + and opposite if it is negative. You can see that the left side of the Subaru ignition coil terminals get corroded but the right side to not, they're opposite polarity. Anyway, with 6000 ohms of resistance, the current available is pathetically puny.

Imagine taking the same voltage difference across a plug and cable set that is almost zero and you divide that voltage by even say 1 ohm compared to 6000 ohms, you have WAAAAAAAAAAAAY more current there for a spark and it will be tremendously more bigger than normal all from the same silly old stock ignition coil.

No magic, just plain and simple ohms law.

Of course you won't think you have nitro or anything, but you will be getting almost every bit of spark energy to the air/fuel mixture that you're paying for. It makes me cringe to see people spending $1000 on a fancy coil and CDI/MSD type system only to put it on a car with high resistance cables and high resistance spark plugs. They spend that money just to throw a serious portion of all that energy down the drain and they don't even know it.

Anyway, I'm just glad to have found some non-resistor plugs for the EJ25 that should work perfectly. I'll post results later when I get time to change my plugs.

Last edited by qiman; 02-16-2013 at 03:28 AM..