View Single Post
#4: 02-03-2013, 11:28 PM

-Samurai-
Title: Member
Car: '05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Send a private message to -Samurai- Find all posts by -Samurai- Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin View Post
Doesn't seem like much play to me. I've watched some vids of "no shaft play" and with no oil pressure there is a very slight movement to the shaft.

I could be wrong though, this is my first turbo car. My last 3 were LSx NA and nitrous Camaro's.
Yeah from what I've researched on before I even checked my own (never had a reason to till now) But yeah as much as it moves is definately not healthy. Odd as it doesnt make wierd noise and no codes are being thrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarManBean View Post
If it's actually 1/2 cm side to side that's a lot, and anything "in and out" is pretty bad--AFAIK it shouldn't have that type of movement even without oil pressure.

OP, sounds like your best bet is to pick up a lightly used VF40/VF46 in the classified. They can typically be had for $250-$400 and you won't need a tune. Anything else that is aftermarket will really require a tune to go with it.
I was thinking of buying a rebuilt factory VF40. The case is used but the bearing cartridge is brand new and computer balanced the seller says. About 10 pics of it and the thing looks literally brand new. He's asking $550 for it no core charge. What do you think?