View Single Post
#11: 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM

Impatient
Title: Senior Member
Car: 09 base --> 07 OBXT LTD 5M
Send a private message to Impatient Find all posts by Impatient Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAC5.2 View Post
I'm not sure I would want to. There are a LOT of reasons to not cut a spring.

I witnessed the TurboDog thrashing. After that, I almost didn't do it, and after doing it, I thought of not mentioning it. But right now, after ~2K miles, I can't think of anything wrong with it, and have to ask, what is the alternative? LGT springs are softer, and cramming the full OBXT spring in there might not ride well either I tried to find a commerically available solution, and just plain didn't find one. I don't want my car as low as yours (to each his own)...nor any spacers, and I've learned that preloading too long a spring onto a shock or strut doesn't necessarily work well either.

Gas pressure in the shock/strut doesn't impact the "stiffness" of the strut. The gas charge really only acts to prevent foaming of the oil. Remember that the gas charge is on TOP of the oil, but the strut is controlled by the motion of a piston IN the oil.

The height difference is almost entirely related to the fact that the Bilstein is an inverted strut vs. the standard strut that the OB comes with. That means that in the Bilstein, the piston rod is pointing downward, and the oil is in the upper portion (the exact opposite of the stock setup).

I'm anxious to learn why this matters. To my thinking, all relevant dimensions were identical except the available height (extended length) and any "extension force" within the damper. Strut body, tophat structure, and actual spring were identical. i would have thought loaded by vehicle weight, the spring would have compressed the same regardless of the damper, but this must have been the mistaken assumption.
But my lawyer tells me to not recommend anyone else cut their springs

Last edited by Impatient; 01-30-2013 at 08:21 PM..