We finally took it for a test drive and everything seemed to be working smoothly. It was a relief to finally see the trans work. The next day we were on our way to the junkyard for some odds and ends and the clutch started sticking halfway. Eventually it just stopped working. good thing we were on our way to the junkyard! My friend came and rescued us and took us to the JY to get replacement parts
Turns out there was a huge leak......... We werent quite sure where it was coming from so while we were at the junkyard we got a master and a slave, and my buddy had a stainless steel clutch line for his 2013 BRZ. All of which fit right in and its working great now. The transmission is in GREAT shape. It feels brand new, the synchros are perfect. The thing runs like a brand new car aside from the exhaust leaks. So far I've put a little over 1,000 miles on it and its working beautifully. It made it the 400 mile back to NH and has been taking me to school. It is a great daily driver.
As for the original issue that I had with the limp mode, it still happens, but not as frequently. I can seem to control it a little better with the manual. It is still a problem though. I replaced some of the things that stayed with the swap: the MAF and the VSS, which leaves the ECU, the AF sensor, the o2 sensor, or a bad connection somewhere. I am still tinkering and will post if I ever figure out this problem...
MANY MANY THANKS go to:
my great friend Spencer for devoting so much time to helping me
my brother for helping with random odds and ends..
987687 from legacygt.com for giving me a huge amount of useful information
iluvdrt on legactgt.com for his writeup, which can be found here:
Anybody interested in seeing my first swap write-up on my 3rd gen legacy, its not as long: