#6: 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM

JJr
Title: Oooh BillyBillyBillyBilly
Car: 05 LGT SWP 5EAT Wgn, Stage-Uno
Send a private message to JJr Find all posts by JJr Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Hi all,

Ran Cobb adjustable sway bars with whiteline bushings for about 80k miles on the LGT. About 9k miles, I got Koni struts set about 40% from full soft towards firm. I played with 'em a bit and found that was my liking. Also got whiteline LCA bushings (front and rear).

Today I took off the cobb front and rear sways for the first time driving the car with only Koni Inserts and whiteline LCA bushings. I thought I'd right a brief review.

Koni's + Cobb Sways

Turn-in is right-the-heck now. Instant response. Body roll is just the tiniest bit even on hard transitions. Minimal squat and dive. The steering feels go kart ish (also whiteline LCAs). Ride comfort is decent.

I compared this setup to a BMW 3 series sport package in terms of steering response, body roll, and overall handling feel. That is still apt. The ride comfort is less than the 3-series, but from a performance standpoint it hit that mark for me.

Koni's + Stock sways

Turn-in became much more vague. Steering looseness increased significantly. Response was far less instant. Body roll increases some, not a ton. Squat and dive remain minimal.

I was really surprised by how much steering precision, response off-center, and turn-in feel I lost. It was not subtle and I'm talking at low-speeds with minor steering inputs. It is obvious how much the rear sway bar stiffening contributed to greater chassis responsiveness and willingness.

Bottom Line: I always read that Koni's or a similar strut solution should be step one. While I don't disagree with that, I think a strut solution + a rear sway bar should be a combined approach. The tightening up of the steering, the overall experience is much sportier.

On another note, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the whiteline LCA bushings. I say stick with stock (it's alot cheaper too). I got a notable increase in NVH and the car became a bit hyper-responsive to steering inputs. Struts + Sways is the perfect combo for daily driver fun.

This will be one of my last posts on this forum for the forseeable future. Good luck to all!

Joe
Thx Joe nice review, exactly what I needed to know. Enjoy the the M5 shes a beast!