View Single Post
#5677: 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM

fahr_side
Title: Royal Pain in the Ass
Car: '08 18GTX+meth 6MT GH8
Send a private message to fahr_side Find all posts by fahr_side
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntryQuestTSi View Post
I'll have to have them send me the info when they open today, The MAF is at max @ 14 psi so We backed it to 10 to be safe. I maxed the housing, not the MAF itself. Not to mention its an open source tune..
I think either you're a little confused about what these terms mean, or your tuner is. For your sake I hope it's the former!

MAF = Mass Air Flow. MAF is a calculated value derived from the voltage required to keep a filament in the sensor heated to a given temperature. The more air that passes by the sensor, the more voltage is needed to keep it warm.
The housing itself does not really get 'maxed out'. What happens is that at a given amount of airflow, there is so much air passing through and it cools the sensor so well that sensor voltage rises to it's maximum of 5 volts. At that point more air can still pass through the housing (by accelerating and flowing faster), but the sensor can no longer measure how much more. Obviously this will lead to a situation where air flow will increase but the ECU will not command extra fuel to be injected. In this situation it is possible to fit a larger housing. The sensor then 'sees' less of the flow through the tube and MAFv is then lower for a given flow volume. Of course the MAF scaling then needs to be recalibrated.

Whether the tune is done via Opensource or commercial tools does not affect the hardware involved nor the laws of physics!

For your reference, a lot of people are running 18G turbos to their max on the stock intake and MAF housing with MAFv never reaching 5 volts. The 18G will hold at least 18psi at redline at good efficiency on a typical EJ255 install with stock cams.