View Single Post
#586: 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM

boxkita
Title: Losing cool daily, beware
Car: 05 wagon Stg$$$ + 92 Miata racecar
Send a private message to boxkita Find all posts by boxkita
Quote:
Originally Posted by m sprank View Post
I have a plan to build a triangulated strut tower brace with HUGE plates over the strut tower caps. All 4130 Cromoloy or DOM steel. Basically going to "cage" the strut tower caps as if it was a Rally Car. Going Full Race means FULL RACE. What does that company say??? Full Race everything else is half fast.
Here's a pic of Ken Block's rally car engine bay, a car that gets the shi*t beat out of it - http://image.modified.com/f/24512785...engine_bay.jpg

The bar is tied into the strut mount, which has a plate welded to the top of the strut tower. As well as every single seam is welded on the car. And gusset plates added at each juncture.

Unless you go for a full cage (not recommend on a street car), this is overkill for a mistake. Now, if you consistently drop your wheel in that spot, I'd find a different line. Or carry much more speed with a much stiffer suspension. The fast guys are lifting their inside wheel just enough that that pothole doesnt bother them, however, more likely they are not quite that close to the spot.

If you are on slicks (treadwear 40) and carrying enough speed (you're barely hanging on), you should be able to carry the corner and that pothole without dropping the wheel. Unless you are an awesome driver, this is not a technique for your rookie year.

If you really want to know how the "fast" guys are doing it, find one who does it right. Ride with them with a 10hz gps data logging app ( or rent an AiM Solo). Then log your run. You may find they are not quite as far over as you think.

Last edited by boxkita; 01-25-2013 at 01:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to boxkita For This Useful Post:
LosAngelesLGT (01-25-2013)