View Single Post
#20: 01-10-2006, 10:14 PM

SBT
Title: Site Majordomo
Car: SWP 05 LGTLW 5MT waiting on an S402
Send a private message to SBT Find all posts by SBT Reply With Quote
Not to grap on sjg's question but I'm at a cross-roads too. I ordered the Mont Blanc square cross-bar kit for my LGT Wagon. Now that I've attached the Mont Blanc rack to the car, and taken it to REI and mounted up the Yakima Platinum Pro 16 and the Thule Evolution 1600 roof boxes, I'm not convinced that the Mont Blanc cross-bars/mounts have the stamina to keep this box attached "in flight".

If I go with a Yakima rack setup, I believe that the factory "rail" with the Yakima EZ-Rider Tower and 48" Yakima round cross-bars will do the trick. Question: Does the EZ-Rider mount up to the existing roof rail or does it somehow mount up to the side rail of the car (which is not what I'm looking for)? If it mounts up to factory roof rail, how much better "grip" does the EZ Rider provide versus that of the Mont Blanc setup?

If I go Thule then I believe the 440 - Subaru Specialty Carrier with Thule 48" square cross bars will fit the bill. It appears that the 440s do fit the factory roof rail so again the question applies, how much stress can these mounts take?

So, anyone with experience with the Subaru racks and heavy wind resistant items attached to it any length of time, say a road trip of 4-500 miles. Plan to do some camping and the last thing I want is to have the box (and contents) sitting somewhere back along the road, or worse yet planted in windshield/interior of the vehicle behind me... Same would apply to my yak when the time comes to top it and haul it.

And sjg - thanks for letting me jump in here with some parallel questions.

SBT