Thread: Compression
View Single Post
#11: 01-05-2013, 09:30 PM

jp71ss
Title: Member
Car: 05 Legacy, 97 GT Wagon
Send a private message to jp71ss Find all posts by jp71ss Reply With Quote
Timing belt and idlers, tensioner was new and dead on. I have the heads at the machine shop now checking the valves. Waiting on that now. I have another engine in the car I am building (97 gt wagon) with the original engine. I guess I could use it as a guinea pig for that. It has 5000 more miles and had the head gaskets replaced but they still leaked when I bought it. I wanted to get this engine out of the 98 outback together to replace the one in the 97 that I think may have a bad block cause the new headgaskets didn't fix it. If it is still good then I will have a spare to build at a later date or sale it if I don't need it.
I sprayed oil in the motor that is in question on the compression to try to get it to raise. They did raise some cause no. 1 didn't have any compression at the start and now I have 60 on it and the other 3 raised some too (30 to 40 lbs.).
I still would like to know if I can bore either block and have good cylinders that will last a long time. So I still need to know it they have liners or nikasil.
What the machine shop finds will answer a lot.

Last edited by jp71ss; 01-05-2013 at 09:32 PM..