View Single Post
#1: 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Why Low Profile Tires

Thetoad
Title: Member
Car: 2006 Legacy SpecB #18
Send a private message to Thetoad Find all posts by Thetoad Reply With Quote
My 06 B came with Bridgestone Potenza's .They were summer performance tires that did nothing except rear end a woman's VW,when mine did not even make an attempt to stop on the rain soaked GW Bridge.

I have no clue why they would sell a car in the north east with summer performance tires when we certainly deal with all 4 seasons.

My car was only about three months old and had just assumed these tires excelled on dry pavement,,,,,,but to be absolutely worthless in rain,,,,never entered my mind.My speed was only about 30 MPH,I gave ample room to stop....however when I attempted to stop,,,all that happenened was I hydroplanned into her.The Stones did squat.The only positive was that the airbags did not deploy,no injuries.

I've always detested low profile tires,,and after the accident and repairs( hood,bumpers,lights radiator) I wondered if any standard tires would fit my 10 spoke 18" wheels.No was the answer.

What's the reason for the low profile tires,,they are uncomfortable,noisy,and transmit every nuance in the road with interest on to you.

Why sell a car,,with such a limited performance tire,,,only suitable in Arizona ,,maybe to a north east dealership,,,,,without even a warning about how incapable summer performance tires are in the real world.
Sponsored links