View Single Post
#9: 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Miro
Title: The Realest Miro
Car: 2010 GGM LGT
Send a private message to Miro Find all posts by Miro Reply With Quote
Here's my two cents:

I'm currently a '98 Accord owner. I've been researching different cars to buy for the past year or so, and that's one of the reasons why I joined the LGT community. The two main runners are the 2013 Accord and 2010+ Legacy.

My experience with the Accord has been amazing. I bought the car used at ~72K miles back in 2003; ten years later, the odometer now reads ~233K. I've had a trouble-free experience -- the only non-wear-and-tear items that had to be replaced were the starter (covered by CPO warranty), as well as the ignition switch, which I replaced myself. The other items -- brakes, clutch, spark plugs -- of course had to be replaced a couple of times after a decade of use. I cannot fault Honda for any of those items wearing out. Oh, and I bought some tires at some point as well

Problem is, it looks like Hondas of today aren't as bulletproof as Hondas of yesteryear, so that's why I'm quite divided as well. I know that both of the newer-gen cars won't be as easy to work on, and will have more electronics that could possibly fail. However, as of today I'm leaning on the 2010 Legacy GT, just because I can have AWD with 265 HP for a reasonable price -- since they've been on the market a few years, you can pick up used ones in the early $20K range.

To be honest, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Definitely test-drive both, and -- if you're lucky enough to have this option -- try renting the cars for a day or two and drive around as much as possible. You never know what kind of quirks may annoy you (uncomfortable seating position, etc.).

Also, forego the Hyundai.

P.S. Here's how it feels to sit inside the Accord... And here's the inside of the Subie.

(Going to an auto show and sampling a dozen cars is also a great way to eliminate some of the "I wonder how car X feels like" possible choices. In years past, the LGT and VW GTI had that Goldilocks "just right" feeling, while this year the 2013 Accord, BMW 328, and BRZ felt that way. It doesn't feel right in the non-GT Legacys, however. LGT or GTFO, IMO )

Last edited by Miro; 01-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Added pix