View Single Post
#1: 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM
2003 Engine Rebuild?

GoBlueJays
Title: New Member
Car: 2003 Legacy GT
Send a private message to GoBlueJays Find all posts by GoBlueJays Reply With Quote
I'm completely new to this website, so I apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong place.

I have a 2003 Subaru Legacy with 120,000 miles on it. Money is tight and the key objective is to pinch pennies. I am not technically sophisticated; I'm trying to figure out, over the next year, whether or not I should just keep driving the car, have the engine rebuilt (I don't even know what that means), or buy a new Subaru (maybe an Outback wagon with 50,000 miles on it).

The car leaks oil as is evident from oil drops it leaves where I park it. I have a trusted mechanic who says it's leaking oil from the head gasket, and now, from another part of the engine that I can't remember. He wants to know if I want him to price out an engine rebuild.

I really like this car, and would prefer to keep it.

What do you think? I assume I will save big bucks by doing the rebuild vs. buying a new Subaru. Do you agree? What will happen if I don't do the rebuild, and just keep driving the car?

Thanks!
Sponsored links