View Single Post
#10: 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM

nstg8r
Title: Thread-jacker
Car: 2012 3.6R Limited RRP
Send a private message to nstg8r Find all posts by nstg8r Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneDoubleN View Post
I mean what I said, registration. The DMV is not in the business of inspecting cars for road compliance, that's the CHP's job. The literature of the recall specifically states it's emissions related, regardless of what you consider it to be.

I live in CA, and I just completed this, so I'm pretty sure I know first hand.
So, what you're telling me is California DMV can prevent you from re-registering your car because of a recall you may or may not have been notified about yet considering how Subaru "rolled' out their recall notices?

Besides, the OP and I don't live in California. Neither does dgoodhue who you were originally replying to. The only thing we need here in NY/PA/MA to be registered is current proof of insurance/inspection. In NY at least, if the car is less than 2 model years old, it doesn't even need to pass an emissions inspection. Even then, the only thing they'd check with the ECU is if there was any trouble codes, not for updated software.

The only time I know of when a vehicle recall has to be taken care of before inspection/registration is if it's a safety related recall like air bags, brakes, tires, etc. And even then, the NHTSA has to notify DMV. This particular recall isn't even listed on the NHTSA's website.