View Single Post
#12: 12-08-2012, 12:24 PM

Byll
Title: Senior Member
Car: '97 GT wagon, '12 Legacy MT, '14 Impreza
Send a private message to Byll Find all posts by Byll Reply With Quote
My family's history is to purchase used. It has always worked. In 1998, I was able to purchase a used 1997 Legacy GT wagon with low mileage, for a fine discount over new. That car is still very much on the road, being driven by a family member. High mileage has never bothered our Subarus.

In mid 2011, I went looking for a used 5MT Legacy wagon - no Outback. I guess I had not followed the product line, closely enough. Nothing past 2008 was available, and what were there were usually Outback automatics...

I then realized a sedan was in my future. I attempted to purchase a recent 2.5i. I really did. It was September, when I gave up. No standard transmission cars could be found within the surrounding states, and the prices for the CVTs were way too close to the price of a new vehicle.

I know that good used 5th gen 2.5i Legacies are out there. I am beginning to see more, as overall 5th gen Legacy sales increase, and as some individuals trade up (?) to the new engine/transmission combination. In the end, if I could have found what I wanted, I would have saved a few thousand dollars, and purchased used. The bane of Subaru used sales, is that Subarus hold their value.

It was an interesting experience to order a new car, and have it arrive - very unexpectedly for all of us - in two weeks.

In the end... If a good quality, 30K mile 5th generation Premium 2.5i is available for $16K, I would jump on it... Very quickly...

Best.
Byll

Last edited by Byll; 12-08-2012 at 01:34 PM..