View Single Post
#3: 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM

monkeyposeur
Title: Burning Monkey
Car: 95 BK, 93 SS!
Send a private message to monkeyposeur Find all posts by monkeyposeur Reply With Quote
Like swagon said, a swap will eat up that $2k and then some (actually, a lot some lol), with you doing it yourself. Not to mention there will be a lot of downtime and you won't have a car for a while. An experienced mechanic could do your HGs and seals in a matter of days.

Your easiest and safest bet is to replace the head gaskets, use a high quality timing belt (OEM or Gates), replace all of the other timing components, water pump, new crankshaft and cam seals, oil separator plate, reseal your oil pump, new plugs/wires & air filter. Check your rear main seal and replace if it is leaking anything beyond a slight weep. I did this and a little more on my SS when the head gaskets went and I probably spent close to $1k just in parts and machining costs (decked the heads). You could also get your heads checked out and see if any of the valves need replacing, etc.

Since your engine will be out it is a good time do decide if you need to replace your clutch. Then button it all back together and if you have any money left do some suspension upgrades such as new struts/springs and swaybars. Then maybe some exhaust upgrades.

With most hybrid swaps you will need to do some engine management like swagon said, and you will be opening up a can of worms. If you want to spend some more money and want to do a swap, buy a wrecked WRX and swap everything over. But expect to spend at the very least $4k.

You might want to consider doing an EG33 swap. If you can find a cheap SVX you can swap the motor in and have a flat V6! You would have to merge the harnesses, and do some other mods to get it in there.

Last edited by monkeyposeur; 12-08-2012 at 10:05 AM..