View Single Post
#22: 12-04-2012, 10:56 PM

bucko3the7man
Title: Yeah!! Traction bitch!
Car: 05 Legacy GT BrenTuned
Send a private message to bucko3the7man Find all posts by bucko3the7man Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag23 View Post
Take your intake-making-power idea and toss it in the bin.

I don't know the 5EAT's limitations, but here's some ways to make a little more power right out of the gate:

1. Downpipe. CNT makes a catted one for $350. You already have an up-pipe judging by your other thread, so you don't need to worry about that.

2. Tune. Infamous performance will do one for $150.

3. Swap bars. Because corners exist. Whitelines cost $200 each (front and back).

4. Brakes. Because going faster means stopping faster when you need to. Stoptech pads are $130, Centrics are $60.

5. IP&T filtered oil supply lines. Because blowing up turbos is no fun. $220.

So that's $1,000 right there, and you've gained a bit of hp, a bit of handling, a bit of braking ability, and no turbo explosion. See how you like that for a few months before continuing on with your mods.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mods to consider further down the road:

1. Coilovers. Tein, KW, and Cusco make good ones. Not sure about BC's or other brands. Will cost anywhere from $1,000 to $2,300.

2. Catback. Don't add too much horsepower unless acting as a supporting mod for a turbo, but can still make your car sound fast (for whatever that's worth). Magnaflow and Invidia. Will cost anywhere from $500 to $1,000.

3. Brakes. New rotors (Stoptech, Centric, DBA) will help you stop even faster. A BBK will help you stop even even faster. Rotors cost about $200 for the front or rear ($400 for both), and a BBK can cost you upwards of $3,000.

4. TMIC, EBCS, fuel pump, and injectors. Good supporting mods for a bigger turbo. All of this will cost you close to $1,500.

5. A bigger turbo. Good for when you've got supporting mods. Will cost you anywhere from $700 to $1,200.

Only when it comes to turbo choices will you start bumping your head on the transmission's power limitations. As you can see, the road to a bigger turbo is very long, and very expensive. If you total up just the engine mods on this list (without including the turbo), you're looking at over $2,500.

Note: all the prices I listed are assuming the items are new. You can pick up certain items used and get them for cheaper... whether or not you should is kind of up to common sense.

Note: I wrote all this because I'm procrastinating for an essay hardcore right now. My idiocity is your gain.
This is a very good guide on modding
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bucko3the7man For This Useful Post:
LosAngelesLGT (12-04-2012), TurboLag23 (12-05-2012)