View Single Post
#41: 12-04-2012, 10:45 PM

Nolmers06LGT
Title: Warum? Weil Rennwagen
Car: '06 LGT 5mt sedan; 152k; STGslow
Send a private message to Nolmers06LGT Find all posts by Nolmers06LGT Reply With Quote
Glad to hear all is well.. I often think I would have been better off to pay a shop strictly for peace of mind.
I opted to do the clutch/flywheel swap in my garage after hearing the infamous squeal. I'm 6k into the new clutch, and its holding up well. That said, I'm still constantly nervous that I made a mistake somewhere through the process, and I don't want to got through all of that again anytime soon.

This is a really intense project- This was my daily driver and I was out of my car for three weeks.

One tip from my experience - when separating the tranny from the block, use plenty of PB blaster on the dowel pins and studs. After a ton of fighting and plenty of failed attempts, a combination of a putty knife, an engine hoist, tranny jack, and pure anger, the thing finally came apart.

-another tip: don't get in such a hurry that you slack on organization. Label every parts bag, and set the parts out in the order they came off.

Lastly, this is such a common problem, and I know there is a diy video walkthrough, but someone needs to make a teardown/rebuild checklist with torque specs and such. I wish I had made one myself, but hindsight is always 20/20.