View Single Post
#1: 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Notchy Shifting After Amsoil Trans/Diff Fluid Change

RallyMachine
Title: Contributor
Car: VF52 05 Legacy GT 5MT
Send a private message to RallyMachine Find all posts by RallyMachine Reply With Quote
I purchased my car a last month and since it was due for the 60k I decided to replace the trans and diff fluid at the same time. Not sure what was in the car before, but I had it changed with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90.

First off, I gave the dealership 7qts of gear oil based on Amsoils recommendation of 12.1 pints (6.05 quarts) for trans and both diffs. The dealership gave me back 2 quarts which means they only used 5. Will there be ~1 quart of residual fluid from a drain and fill or did they not fill them up all the way?

Secondly, I've noticed a tad bit more noise from synchros (maybe?) when rolling in gear with clutch disengaged, but whine while in gear has improved. I have noticed that shifts feel notchier than before, but it seems like a good notchy. Almost like i can feel the transmission better and it seems crisper. Is this a bad thing? I did detect a slight grind into 5th this morning but it was ~40 degrees out. I also have the sti STS and the TiC shifter bushing set so that probably causes some notchiness, but I definitely noticed it more after the fluid change.

Last edited by RallyMachine; 11-15-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Sponsored links