View Single Post
#5: 11-12-2012, 07:52 AM

EJ25subie05
Title: Senior Contributor
Car: 2007 spec B, 04 PSM STi, 2006 #41 spec b
Send a private message to EJ25subie05 Find all posts by EJ25subie05 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesLGT View Post
Do not agree with this advice for 90% of forum users. Till some frame of reference is gathered from over and under torquing things by turn wrenches regularly, most people over torque like crazy.

As he said 100% take to local muffler shop that also does aluminum intercoolers and the like, weld it up and have flanges reground/sanded flat. Its not a total writeoff. At worst, you can fix it and resell it as a repaired TMIC to someone else for ~$300 but hopefully you get a replacement from the mfr.
those two bolts are something you do not want to use a torque wrench on, they are just way to easy to strip out. I'm speaking from experience, the threads suck there. i am saying a ratchet is better because you can actually feel when you should stop (just take it easy), with a torque wrench you can't feel it because you rely on the torque wrench and most of them are long. i have to put a bolt in mine because the threads on the turbo come out too easy
true a lot of people do over torque (i did as well) you just get a feeling for it after breaking, stripping, or not making them tight enough.
*this is all my opinion and how i do it every time, I'm not arguing here just stating my opinion.
OP let us know how it goes, hope it all goes well and you figure out something.