View Single Post
#756: 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM

TheOneDoubleN
Title: Crash Test Dummy
Car: '08 535xi Sport Wagon
Send a private message to TheOneDoubleN Find all posts by TheOneDoubleN Reply With Quote
Yeah he's feeding you a TON of BS. He is trying to tell you that putting a spring compressor (essentially a metal plate with some bolts and a wingnut on top that allows you to compress the spring safely while removing the top hat) on top of the removed spring/strut assembly takes one hour to use to remove a spring from a strut. It takes about 5min each, tops, and that's if you're slow. Maybe he's taking a lunch break in between each strut and quoting based on that time.

Never do this kind of work at a dealership unless you have a friend there that won't gouge you. Find a reputable mechanic, it doesn't even need to be Subaru specific. For a mechanic, this should be no more than 2-3 hours of labor at the MOST. Most people decent with a wrench can do this in their garage in 2-3 hours.

FWIW, even when you do have a buddy at the dealership (I'm friends with a service advisor), Santa Monica Subaru wanted to charge me $700 to do this job, and that apparently was my "friend" quote; they said they usually charge $900. For some perspective, the place that ultimately did the work, Infamous Performance, charged me somewhere between $200-300 (can't remember where exactly, but I think closer to $200). Having been a service advisor myself in the past for motorcycle shops, I can tell you this is standard practice to gouge the hell out of people that don't know any better.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOneDoubleN For This Useful Post:
Rhett (11-05-2012)