Did some work on it yesterday, generally I think it's OK... hooked up RomRaider to grab a quick log (whilst parked), see attached.
This appears to show that the variable valve timing is working OK (ie. not clogged) and that the turbo can build boost when needed. I'll grab some more whilst driving - but technically I need to get the car inspected before I can register it. No spare money for unnecessary tickets...
Currently 133K on clock, still has cat'ed up pipe. I noticed a few 'issues'...
- No heat shield on turbo - isn't mentioned in the service manual so perhaps the early builds didn't have this.
- Torn front right inner CV boot - pulled drive shaft to repair and got a surprise of oil leaking from gear box (Forester doesn't do this), guess this is normal. Is it necessary to replace seal?
- Both front LCA rear bushing cracked - pulled arms to press out and replace, I gather the WRX ones fit and are more rigid.
- Sump has previously been removed (liquid gasket oozing out) - presumably when turbo was replaced @ 98K.
- The gearbox drain plug appears to have been leaking and oil level was a little low. Should this have a crush washer?
- There's a fair bit of oil mess on the turbo oil exit pipe, where it transitions pipe/rubber/pipe. Will clean up and investigate further.
Full set of photos here:
Finally this appeared at some point when I was working on the front right LCA, anyone know where it's from?