View Single Post
#100: 10-11-2012, 08:47 AM

BigTDogg (MA)
Title: Senior Monkey
Car: 2005 STG 2.5 LGT 5MT Wagon, 1990 300ZX
Send a private message to BigTDogg (MA) Find all posts by BigTDogg (MA) Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive Auto Works View Post
Ok so here are my main concerns with the new design of the LGT

1. Rust/Corrosion:
As you may know the turbo placement on the 5th Gen is directly in front of the headers and just behind the radiator. There are ducts in the front bumper that direct air/salt/sand directly towards the turbo charger - thus causing a serious rusting condition on the turbo coolant lines. This worries me as Patrick's car (2.5 years old) is already showing signs of serious corrosion on the turbo coolant lines (wish I snapped a picture).

Also - the bottom and top front studs/nuts for the exhaust housing of the turbo are also very exposed to harmful rust/corrosion causing elements. On Patrick's car, both studs and nuts had to be forcefully removed/cut off.

2. Aftermarket Installs:
Front sway bar will be more difficult to install than previous generations.

Turbo back 2x-3x more difficult and time consuming to install than previous generations - due to lack of space between welded u-frame/sub-frame and down pipe/catted pipe. Also - both O2 sensors are situated in the down pipe at tricky angles (use caution/correct tools during removal) as opposed to previous generations where O2 sensor can be removed after the pipe has been removed from the car. Note: While it is possible to remove the stock down pipe with O2 sensors still attached, I do not recommend it - risk of damaging O2 sensors.

Turbo situated very close to flush with lowest point of chassis - heavy duty skid plate recommended for rough terrain/lowered suspension

3. Rigidity

My only comment here is on the SINGLE motor mount. LOL! The transmission has two mounts and the engine has one. That's all I'll say about that.

You guys KNOW I LOVE Legacy's - I just wanted to share some things to watch out for on the 5th Gens.
4. They're fugly
The Following User Says Thank You to BigTDogg (MA) For This Useful Post:
sigmafour (10-11-2012)